Front door always leaves wet patches

Although your pics don't show all aspects, it's not impossible that all that's maybe required is to ensure the outside is properly sealed from the elements e.g. where the threshold meets the concrete. Belt and braces you might need to replace the rubber gasket/strip that meets the underside of the door when it's closed.

Sponsored Links
It may be that water is falling from the head of the doorway, or blown In by prevailing wind.

Although your pics don't show all aspects, it's not impossible that all that's maybe required is to ensure the outside is properly sealed from the elements e.g. where the threshold meets the concrete. Belt and braces you might need to replace the rubber gasket/strip that meets the underside of the door when it's closed.
Thank you I don’t own the property I rent it from council and when they originally came out they said it was due to my heating hitting the cold door so I’m trying to find out how to stop this and get it done properly before I ruin any flooring I put down I’ll be taking more pictures in daylight tomorrow hopefully it will look a lot clearer

Thank you I don’t own the property I rent it from council and when they originally came out they said it was due to my heating hitting the cold door so I’m trying to find out how to stop this and get it done properly before I ruin any flooring I put down I’ll be taking more pictures in daylight tomorrow hopefully it will look a lot clearer
I can't comment on that, however to me it looks more like water ingress of some description, especially the 3rd and 4th pics. Hope they get it sorted for you one way or the other.

Sponsored Links
Looks like a composite door to me , therefore both the threshold and metal ' drip bar ' are perfectly correct for the product and the actual parts won't be the issue BUT as has been stated I suspect that the threshold hasn't been sealed to the concrete correctly, if at all.
First thing to check is that the compression of the door is correct and the handle is always pulled up to engage the full compression , otherwise water will seep around the seals in heavy wind and rain. Check whether you are getting water ' sitting ' in the aluminium threshold, if not the door seals are fine and it's probably the seal under the threshold.
Another thing to watch out for on composite doors is they are known to leak water from the letter box and the glazing cassette and run down the inside of the door sash, A quick bead of clear silicone across the top of the letterbox , and around the glazing cassette ( where the ' cassette moulding ' meets the glass ' ) should solve this.
I find it hard to believe its condensation, unless you are drying washing on radiators or running a vented tumble dryer within the property but if that were the case all windows/doors would be running with condensation.
Course of action , in my opinion ....

1- check for standing water in threshold , check drainage holes in threshold if water is collecting, if clear then investigate how well the door is sealing
2 - if no standing water , check all exterior silicone seals around the door, especially that of the aluminium threshold meeting the concrete ( probably best to renew all visible sealant to make sure
3 - check/watch for water ingress from the letterplate/glazing cassette and seal with clear silicone if needed.

There are two more possibilities albeit slightly less likely, one that there is a leak in the building above the door somewhere and it's permeating down and two , the exterior render/concrete is porous

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back