Front door and sash windows - oil/water/solvent, Weathershield, Supadec or Zinnser Allcoat or something else? Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to repaint our shaded, sheltered olive green 6 panel front door (very heavily scratched but not blistering or peeling) and 2 south-east facing ground floor sash windows (which were peeling but have now had wood filler and been sanded). What should I use??? All I know is that I need exterior paint suitable for wood, but should it be solvent, oil or water based?? I think I'd like them to be satin (blue for the door and white for the windows, on the basis that satin isn't too matte or too glossy) but what are the pros and cons of different paints - like Dulux Weathershield, Sadolin Superdec, Zinnser Allcoat etc? And are the manufacturer's claims true? eg. Zinnser says that two coats of Allcoat can be applied without using any primer, onto painted wood that hasn't been sanded...? I am totally confused and would be very, very, very grateful for any help - thank you so much!

Sponsored Links
I would use 10 year oil paints of any brand for exterior. If you have the patience, a 10 year primer would be good too. On non-wearing surfaces, the 10 year paints can last forever if the substrate is not exposed in places such as edges where paint doesn't cover. If the substrate is allowed to get wet then all paints will fail.

I have no experience, but I wouldn't trust do your job quick paints. My expectation is that they will fail your job quick too. With oil based primer and paint, they are so slow drying, you could grow a beard between coats. But, the result is worth it.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back