Front door canopy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I'm new to your forum and trying to get an opinion or two on a job I'm doing next week.

I live in a 1960's semi which has a 7.5 ft feet wide concrete canopy above the front door. It's reinforced with steel wire. The concrete is rotten and decaying and the steel is rusty. I anticipate it will fall down of its own accord unless I act fast!

I was planning on taking it down piece by piece with a kango type drill. In its place, I fancied replacing it with one of these:

mimrehveGlnd2PbLKMS-6eQ.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PALERMO-G...853?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item23523f5dcd

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of job or this type of canopy. Is it worth getting one?

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You may well find the concrete canopy is also the lintel above the door, cast in one big piece.

In which case be careful that it doesn't end up knackering the brickwork above when you start smashing it up with a breaker.

If I were you I would use a diamond grinder or stihl saw and carefully chop it out bit by bit, rather than using a breaker.

Might be nice to integrate some LED lighting in the underside of that canopy, on a movement sensor?

Will you be also using the same material as the ones in the photo? Those are wooden materials i supposed (?), Well if you can go for different type other than wood, perhaps plastic for the roofing that will save your canopy from decaying and rot.

Sponsored Links
The overhang on that canopy is barely worth the effort.

I've done one over my back door in a similar fashion but with a useable overhang.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back