Front Door Fitted High? *Now with pics*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Bungalow was built in the 1920's, we've renovated it and have lived there for 10 years. The front door has always been a bit of a pain, but I've only really just taken the time to think about why.

It's actually positioned a whole brick course above the damp course. Is this normal?

I'm fairly sure it was how it was built, because the external doorstep is original and it corresponds, but inside there is a 4" drop.

Can anyone shed any light on why this is so? I'll soon be in a position to correct it, unless there's a specific reason for it?

Sponsored Links
Excuse the state of the external brickwork! LOL. Hoping to render this year!

I noticed it mainly due to the height at top in relation to the soffit, which I am planning to pull apart once the nicer weather arrives.

I would say that concrete step is your problem.
Seeing as you will be rendering at some point I would look at taking out the door, Breaking up the step and replace it with either a new lower concrete step or a nice slab of slate. Then refit the door lower down.

I would take the skirting off below the door on the inside first just to check there's no supprizes under it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input Gazman, I'm fairly confident in resolving it and the plan certainly is to renew the step.

My question is more around why it is like it. I'm certain it's how it was built, as opposed to a later alteration.

So are front doors usually positioned directly on the damp course?

Probably just a quirk of the building and a mistake with the levels, the step almost certainly would of been cast in situ

Once inside does the level of the floor step up again? I can't tell? :confused:

The level of the rest of the bungalow makes complete sense. The rear entrance doors are directly on the damp course and the floor is completely flat and level throughout.

I've had a look, albeit not close up at my neighbours and they look like they might be the same. I might go and see, but everything points to lowering the door, as it makes everything seem right to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back