Front door with only a thumbturn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I'm just arranging for a new Solidor front door which has a long bar handle on the outside front. The plan was to have the same bar on the inside of the door but as the door will open flush against a wall, I'm conscious the bar will prevent the door from opening completely.

The suggestion is to do away with the bar on the inside of the door and go with just the thumbturn.

Would it be easy to open the door with just a thumbturn?

Cheers

Greg

Sponsored Links
Doubt it, it probably has multi point locking, which requires the handle.

No, I believe the bar handle is more cosmetic. It's just used to pull the door. The actual thumbturn does the locking.

I may be wrong though but it's not the traditional handle you pull up to engage the multipoint locks, it's just a single fixed vertical bar.

Sponsored Links
Doubt it, it probably has multi point locking, which requires the handle.

If it has an AV2 locking mech then all the hooks and latch are operated by the thumbturn, they have to be Eddie as the pole handle outside is just that, its fixed and doesn't operate the mech, you open the door with a great big chunky key, for what its worth I have the same install and I always still pull my thumbturn despite having a pole handle inside, there is some slight resistance as the door rubs on the monkey fur draught excluder but can be overcome

I have a Solidor with that lock. It’s easy to use with just the key.

Yes, going in or out is easy. We have knobs in and out put only use the outside one to pull it closed.

C6E8A6C0-2045-4448-B3E0-B07C31C9E8AF.jpeg

89E0AC7B-A8E1-4F81-921C-2E4C5B26BCE3.jpeg

It would all depend on the slab, if a manufacturer makes one then I can't see any reason not to put a pull knob in there but I haven't seen that slab yet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back