Front Garden Fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All of my garden is to the front/side of my house and I'd like to erect a 5ft fence so that we have some privacy and my 3 year old can play safely outside. I've been told that 1m is the highest I can have as it is within 1m of a highway and any bigger you need planning permission.

The funny thing is I could have 30ft conifers with no problem!

Has anyone had any experience with dealing with councils over this or have any other advice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
From what I understand, the front of the property is 1m high and the side if it's your next door neighbour, the height is 6' high but if facing the highway you can go up to 7' high. You can get a free booklet from your building control explaining this.

Still waiting for the building/planning people to come back to me on this one.

If this doesn't work does anyone know where to gt "Instant Hedges"? i.e. ones that are already 4-5ft tall?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
depends what you want them to be made of. you can buy larger specimens from nurseries, as opposed to garden centres. You are however paying a premium for these, as they have had them on their premises for several years, being cared for, so you pay the price. Shop around in your yellow pages and local free ads for nurseries in the country.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back