Front-Offside creaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a 1997 Passat that has 140,000 miles on the clock :eek:

I've noticed a creaking over the last couple of months from the front offside, I only notice it when turning the wheel at slow speed, but it is clearly audible (and possibly there at higher speed too). There is also significant tyre wear on that wheel as well.

Any ideas what the problem might be, given the age and value of the car I'd like to do any repairs myself if poss. Although the extent of my car DIY experience is changing the oil :D

Thanks
Smurf

Sponsored Links
It could any of the rubber bushes/ball joints or trackrod ends collapsed or worn. You don't say if the tyre is worn on one edge, if so I would suspect track rod end or lower suspension bushes. You may also have wear on wheel bearings/drive shafts/dampers or steering rack.

I would look under the front, with the car on the floor or on ramps and get someone to rock the steering from side to side. Doing this with the weight on the wheels will show any wear better.

Then jack up the full front of the car(both sides) and put it on axle stands under the floor on some wood, to let the wheels hang down.

Now slowly shake/pull the wheels top to bottom and front to back. It is better for someone else to do this whilst you are looking. Then take off the wheels and probe around the suspension bushes, put a big screwdriver or tyre lever between all mounting brackets and chassis to feel for wear or siezure.

It is hard to describe to someone who doesn't know, but you are looking for movement that is different from the opposite side really. (assuming other side is OK!) A rusty red colour is also a sign of wear on some parts.

If you are uncertain DO NOT UNDO ANYTHING near the road springs without getting knowledgeable help first. Road springs are dangerous when under compression if you don't know what you are doing.

Ahh, This is what weekends were made for :D

I think it was actualy just the outside of the tyre that was worn but I'll take a look when I get home.

Thanks for your advice.
Cheers
S

Sponsored Links
Back