Vauxhall Combo 1.3cdti "wobbly front wheel"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed a faint knocking noise from the front suspension; I imagine the sort of noise a loose drop-link from the front anti-roll bar might make.

On inspection the knock could be reproduced by rocking the front offside wheel from side to side, and so it could by rocking the nearside wheel too. When jacked-up and the wheel is removed there is no hint of play in any of the balljoints (both lower wishbones are nearly new).
With the wheel back on and the vehicle on the ground I can once again reproduce the knock.
Yes, the wheelnuts are tight!!!

I'm thinking that maybe a McPherson strut bearing has worn. This would explain the knock reproduction from either side of the van, but there's no sign of oil down either damper. A curious problem.
I'm off out now to remove the wheel and support the lower wishbone on its outer end, simulating suspension compression under normal load. I assume that will allow me to expose any play in the strut bearing that would otherwise be disguised at full droop.

I'll be back...

Sponsored Links
blistered/bubbled tyre can cause this. Have you felt all the way around?

Well it was indeed the top shaft bearing on the offside McPherson strut, only fully apparent with the suspension at normal working height.
I have been aware of this knocking for a few weeks but had no time to investigate properly after the initial jack-up check, save for rocking the wheels and monitoring it, so was a little concerned as it was MoT day today.
Ironically the old bus passed, the only advisory being a corroded exhaust back-box!!!

A couple of new struts will be on their way for the weekend, and I've made a note to self not to rely on the MoT to expose future problems.

Sponsored Links
Back