Toyota Corolla Verso noisy front end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 2003 Toyota Verso,when turning sharp corners,there is a clicking coming from the front
wheel(s)
Is there an acceptable amount of clicking,or does it mean the ujs are on the way out?
I have taken the wheels off this morning to have a look for anything obvious,the boots are in good condition,with no splits.
Turning the wheels by hand,i couldnt hear the noise,having said that,there is quite a bit of drag,and would not be the same as driving the car,but turning the wheels with my hand on the cv joint,i couldnt "feel" any roughness.
One thing i did notice that on the nearside,the brake disc is free to move on the hub,ie the wheel studs are free to clonk back and forward in the holes in the disc which are approximalely 2-3mm bigger,on the offside theres no movement at all,even though the studs/holes are the same sizes as on the nearside,though i would have thought that the wheel huts "clamping" the wheel/disc/hub would sandwich everything
tight so as to allow no movement,all wheelnuts were tight.
TIA

Sponsored Links
Think your right about it all getting sandwiched when the wheel is on.
It does sound like the c.v. joint is on it's way out, i ran mine (peugot) for months 6, but it did go on me, leaving me stranded. It does not mean the other side needs changing.

You may not feel roughness, as the wheel,etc is not under pressure when up on the jack/axle stands.

Try and find a big open car park (closed supermarket, cinema etc), and drive the car round in circles on full left lock, then full right lock. You will probably hear a rythmic clicking or knocking noise from the wheels. if you hear it on right lock, it will be the LEFT c.v joint failing, and vice versa on the other lock.

Sponsored Links
Back