Front or Rear Extension??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a client whose house fronts Road 'A', there is a front door and the propertry looks like this is the front. The address of the property is Street 'B' , along the rear of the property. The front is about 1.2m back from the rear of the footpath of Street 'A' and the rear has a driveway coming off of Street 'B' with an inegral garage. The letter box is on the door to Street 'B' My client wants to extend 3.5m towards Street 'B'. I am not sure whether this would be classed as a front extension and therefore refused fro being larger than 1.2m (as prescribed in planning guidance) or, whether it would be classed as a rear extensnio because that is what it looks like? Has anyone had any experience? I don't want my client ot incur any costs as i think i should know the answer but have never come across this before...

Sponsored Links
Tried that Woody, they wouldn't even put me through to a planning officer - they "don't give free advice of that nature over the phone"!

It isn't always obvious which is the principal elevation. It is usually the one with the main entrance door and features normally found on the front - e.g. canopy, bay windows, etc. But not always. Are there any similar properties nearby that have made planning applications? If so look up the planning report - it should tell you which elevation the local authority consider to be the principal one. Otherwise you'll have to go with your intuition and maybe apply for a COL.

Sponsored Links
Have to deal with a similar situation Polstar, the back of my clients place is approx 3m in depth & the front 'garden' is approx 25m depth.

My client has bought the place & we presumed that the longer garden was the rear. But a 'friendly neighbour' pointed out that the 25m garden side is actually the front. Asked the client to check on the deeds & also what is used as the mailing address.

It's looking like we can't build anything (we were looking at a granny flat to replace an existing detached garage & this granny flat was to have a larger footprint) as it'll be in the front garden.

Anoher one bites the dust......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back