Front strut lift on inner wing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What does the MOT rule say on this?

How much play are you allowed?

If the tester can feel the play when giving the wheel a vertical shake, I presume that's a fail?

Sponsored Links
Are you saying you can lift the strut up, when its on full droop?
Sounds like the strut top bearing / housing is in trouble if you can!
John :)

With the wheel of the deck, shaking the wheel vertically, there's a slight play and visible slight movement of the strut mount off the inner wing.

From what I seen on youtube, the rubber bush compresses overtime and excessive gap results.

Thats true, if the housing delaminates or whatever, then youll get some play....its not as if the strut can actually go anywhere, so lets see what Motman suggests.
Is the other side the same?

Sponsored Links
Depends what car it is. Some are allowed considerable play with the suspension unloaded. When you log a vehicle on for the test, you get a set of special notes particular to that specific vehicle.

This is from the suspension section in the inspection manual: Many MacPherson strut top bushes are designed to have significant lateral play when the suspension is hanging free. You should only reject MacPherson strut top bushes when play is due to wear or maladjustment.

'Slight' anything will at worse be a minor fail or an advisory. Things have to practically be falling off or about to fail before you can issue a refusal.

No, the n/s seems fine.

The car drives well enough.

Thanks Gents, I don't think there's cause for concern as the play is only slight.

If it gets worse, KYB strut bearing kits are £10.

Have ended up fitting new shocks all round and new rear springs, as well as the front strut bearings/bushes.

The car drives as smooth as a limo now!

Just out of interest is KYB or Munroe the preferred option?

I fitted KYB!

I'm sure you wouldn't notice any difference between the two makes, both being perfectly good.
Spax and Koni used to be a cut above the rest but who knows how true that is.
Which car is it this time?

It was the 1.3 KA, the wee dogim car but my neice's pride and joy.

She has the uncle of the year (y)
The early models tended to rust on some obscure places, such as around the fuel filler cap.....worth keeping a look out.

Clever stuff is rust ......it can be made to disappear then come back again.

Indeed John, the filler cap!

Sponsored Links
Back