frozen condensate pipe can it be run into the internal drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a look through a few of the posts about frozen condesate pipes. Mines is frozen solid started from the ground, runs into a hole which is filled with gravel. Anyway I have cut it so it is free of the ground now and heated it up and removed loads of ice. Its in the attic and I removed the 25mm flexible pipe and put it into a temporary bucket and poured hot water into it used a hair drier till the pipe nearly melted. Still no joy.
it is in the attic can I run it into the gutter? but at the moment that is filled with snow and frozen as well. Can I run it into the domestic drain like that the bath and shower run into and it would be internal so little chance of freezing?? I see people mention the potential of gas escaped through the pipe so don't know if that is a good idea.

What do you think, Got another idea I think I will patent anybody want to buy it?

John

Sponsored Links
No problems with running it like that.

As long as the condensate trap in the boiler is full you won't get any fumes from the boiler out of the condensate pipe ;)

Sponsored Links
in bristol its going to snow tonight ....keep the condense pipe internal it keeps us warmer!!!!

You cannot run the condensate into your gutter if the system that takes that water away is a surface water only pipe.

If you have conbimed sewer and surface connection then that is OK.

If you can do it permantly I connected my boiler condensate directly to my sink waste pipe below the kitchen sink.
If you can do the same but to you bathroom waste that will be the ideal soultion.

I must be about the one millionth person to have the drain pipe on the combi boiler freeze solid !
I have stuck a hose from the bottom of the boiler in to the sink as a temporary measure !
If only I had been arsed to connect it under the sink in the first place !

Step 1 (temporary solution go get the house warm)
1. Make sure sensors on the condensate trap are all dry
2. Remove condensate trap bung (in this case a yellow bung). Put a bucket underneath to capture the water.
3. Fire it up

DO NOT DO THIS....

THIS COULD BE VERY DANGEROUS

YOU ARE OPENING THE WAY FOR FLUE GASSES TO ENTER YOUR PROPERTY.

before you post your instructions you should make sure your advise is safe. the condensate drain is classed as part of the flue, and should only be adjusted by a gas safe engineer, your advice has the posibility of killing somone with carbon monoxide....

before you post your instructions you should make sure your advise is safe. the condensate drain is classed as part of the flue, and should only be adjusted by a gas safe engineer, your advice has the posibility of killing somone with carbon monoxide....

absolutely spot on ;)

Definitely a case of ....

A little knowledge is dangerous

But Mod 7 the dangerous advice still remains as quoted in Jason's posting !

There is far too much dangerous advice being given on this forum!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back