Frozen hot water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just returned from holiday and the hot water pipe in the kitchen has stopped working - I assume it's frozen as it's been so cold and the pipe passes through a cold attic over the kichen ceiling. We did leave the heating on as usual but it's colder than normal!
What should I do? Open the tap and try to thaw the pipe? Would I need to turn the water off anywhere before trying this?
Thanks in advance, Vicky

Sponsored Links
Have a good look for any damages/burst pipe before defrosting, you don't want to defrost only to find water gushing out of a pipe.

Heat the pipe with a hair dryer or hot water bottle. Use an RCD plug if using the hair dryer.

Thanks
Have now defrosted pipe

For others infomation this is what I did

Turned hot water off at immersion (turned red wheel),
opened tap at kitchen sink
Took a hairdryer + RCD and warmed pipes starting at just behind taps and working my way along towards immersion.
Worked my way into attic leaving Dad to shout if anything came out the taps...which he did
Checked along pipes for leaks
Turned water on again at immersion and checked again for leaks

No leaks so far...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back