Frozen gearbox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2007 plate Corsa D. When the tempature gets below around 5 degrees or less, I can't get my car into gear. Once I have warmed the car up, approximately 30 mins after starting the ignition it is fine. I have had a mechanic come and look at it and he said my clutch pedal seems low but once the car is warmed up the clutch/gearbox works fine. No sign of the clutch slipping, nor does the car over rev. There is no sign of a leak, soon as the car is warmed up there is no problem at all. Does anyone else have this problem or know potentially what this could be causing the issue.

Sponsored Links
Dragging clutch. Hold the clutch down with the engine running and try to engage first gear. If it won’t go in, keep the pressure on the gearstick and switch the engine off. If it drops into gear as soon as the engine stops, it’s definitely the clutch and will need replacing.

When the car engine is off the gear stick will go into any of the gears. I get that I may need a new clutch but as soon as the car/oil is hot enough the gearbox and clutch is fine. The mechanic that came to look said that if the clutch needed replacing it wouldn't be fine when the car is warmed up it would be the same no matter the tempature.

When the car engine is off the gear stick will go into any of the gears. I get that I may need a new clutch but as soon as the car/oil is hot enough the gearbox and clutch is fine. The mechanic that came to look said that if the clutch needed replacing it wouldn't be fine when the car is warmed up it would be the same no matter the tempature.
Then he's not a mechanic. Even you get that you may need a new clutch. If it goes in gear with the engine off but not with it running, it’s obvious what the problem is. What does this mechanic say it is then?

Sponsored Links
If you need to move off quickly from a Cold start try this :- Before you start the car select first gear, fully depress the Clutch and then start the engine.

Really to ease the load on the starter motor you should always fully depress the clutch pedal when starting the engine - particularly in the cold months when the engine and gearbox oil is thicker and therefore harder work to turn over.

The mechanic said it could possible be the correct me if I'm wrong as I'm no mechanic a hydraulic spring or something potentially. I think I may just get a new clutch kit. Not much else wrong with the car and for its age its only done 70K miles

Back