Annoying Squeaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My car has developed an annoying squeaking from the engine (Pug 206 1.4 16v).

It sounds like birds twittering I suppose.

It only happens when warm, only at idle. I thought it maybe the aux drive belt or tensioner, but it's coming from the gearbox side of the engine bay.

The noise is at it's worst when the clutch is disengaged. When I engage the clutch in neutral, the squeaking very nearly stops. When I disengage clutch, the squeaking only becomes quieter, when the pedal is almost right at the top of it's travel (the actual bite point is much lower).

If I engage 1st & "ride" the clutch & pull the car along at idle, the squeaking continues until the clutch pedal is completely released (as above).

I have no clutch related issues, such as slip or high bite point - just birds under my bonnet!

Has anyone got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I think the squeak could only be the clutch release bearing really, and its not worth getting it done until the clutch is ready for renewal......the release bearing, friction and pressure plate are replaced as a set.
There's much work and expense involved just to replace this bearing alone, and the only other area which could be involved is where the gearbox input shaft locates in the end of the crankshaft, courtesy of a bronze bush.....
Best to just see how things progress, I think.
John :)

Thanks for the response John.

I'm certainly not going to get the engine & g/box separated just to solve the squeak, as long as it's not going to imminently cause catastrophic failure of more expensive parts!

It seems odd to me that it squeaks worse when the clutch is disengaged? But i'm not all that clued up on this level of mechanics!

The car only has 40k on it - I'll just put up with it & see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Bearings make their prescence felt in various ways - when they are fully loaded (clutch depressed) then they tend to go silent or growl, but when they are idling (clutch released) then slight noise is common. The slightest touch on the clutch pedal should stop the noise.
Early release bearings were in fact made from graphite and whilst they didn't last so long, the self lubricating properties of graphite meant that they were silent in operation!

Sponsored Links
when they are fully loaded (clutch depressed) then they tend to go silent or growl, but when they are idling (clutch released) then slight noise is common. The slightest touch on the clutch pedal should stop the noise.

Hi John,
This is the part that is confusing me as the squeak is worse with the clutch depressed (have I got my engaged/disengaged mixed up?)

With the clutch pedal down, the release bearing is under maximum load - this would usually cause it to cease making a noise or to rumble really loudly if it was on the way out.
Maybe the squeak is due to the bush in the end of the crankshaft being dry......either way, its not worth doing anything apart from seeing how it goes!
Obviously as the clutch friction plate wears, lots of dust is created that can also cause noise.....but this is more likely to be a bit of a shriek as the clutch engages.

Back