Help bleeding Ecotec clutch slave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire with the 2.2 Ecotec engine.

So I replaced the notorious clutch hydraulic line that had warn through against the electrical harness bracket it rubs against. I'll save the details of the whole process but now it comes time to fill and bleed the system. Many tutorials I have read don't seem to apply totally as the ecotec has the slave cylinder internally placed within the clutch housing and without a bleed valve directly on it. Only the bleed valve in the line immediately before it.

I tried the suggested traditional methods. Push and hold pedal down, open valve, close valve, lift pedal, repeat.

What has me most concerned here is that either the slave cylinder or the clutch itself is squeaking LOUDLY when the pedal is moved. This is the condition that really is not improving and I thought it might have to do with air still being in the slave. This squeaking condition did not exist before I started this repair.

Now I read on one forum for the ss cobalt, someone said you can get around this by having your partner pump the clutch up and down several times with the bleed valve closed, then hold the pedal down while the bleed valve is opened slowly. I tried this and it seemed to release air (at the bleed valve) and fluid then I closed the valve. A jet of fluid would shoot up into the reservoir but no bubbles. However after going through this process a dozen times nothing seemed to change or improve. Every time there would appear to be a bit of air coming out the bleed valve followed by a jet of fluid. After pumping a couple times on the pedal with the bleed valve closed, pressure does build and pedal becomes stiff. Too stiff I would say.

I'm at a loss here.

Sponsored Links
If the clutch breaks as it should when you press the pedal and bites as it should when you lift your foot off, leave it alone. Not sure what the squeak is, but it is not caused by air. The air bubbles you see might be due to the remoteness of the slave away from the bleed screw.
Probably have to fill the slave with fluid, then put he pipe on and bleed? Remember fluid is corrosive, so be careful with the paint work

Squeak might be due to more movement on the cylinder now you have things working correctly? If the squeak changes with engine speed, might be a dry release bearing.

The method i used on a seat which is a similar set up to yours was much the same as your doing now so as below, i tried pressure bleeding kits and all sorts and below is the only way i could get the pedal back

1.pump pedal up and down several times
2.hold pedal down(keep pressure on pedal)
3.release bleed nipple(you may feel the clutch pedal sink a little more)
4.tighten bleed nipple
5.repeat steps 1 to 4 until you get some feel back

I had to repeat this the next day too, it was a nightmare!

I have the clutch line changed and the air all out as best as I can tell. The squeak is still there. I'm starting to think it may have already being squeaking like that before the repair as it is not easy to hear it when the engine is idling, and not at all once driving. The squeak comes from the area around the slave cylinder. It happens while moving the clutch in and out, not a continuous sound like when the clutch is spinning with the engine.

Would this sound indicate a slave cylinder that is about to fail or maybe some part of the clutch itself?

Sponsored Links
Back