Frozen tap cover won't budge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace my tap washers and have covers over the tap spindle that should simply unscrew. The first one took a fair bit of muscle but came loose eventually and the new washer was fitted quickly. I have two more to do, one that is on the wall (bath tap) and the other on the vanity. They are bell shaped so it makes it tricky to grip, but I have some grip matting stuff, so gripping by hand isn't a problem - it is just that I haven't found a human strong enough to budge either of them. (yes we are turning the right way) Trying to use a tool is almost impossible, multi-grips just want to slip up the bell shape. I kind of damaged one surface already using several layers of the grip mat and the multi-grips chewed through it. I suspect that I have to damage them completely to remove them... even then i am not sure if they will budge. I have tried spraying RP7 down the spindle and tapping them with hammers... I just don't know how rough i can get without damaging the tap mechanism.
Has anyone else had the same problem? What was the outcome?

Sponsored Links
I find my hand slips off the bell - end :oops: . Wrap a cloth round the base - of the tap , then apply hot ( near boiling) water followed by cold water :idea: That will shock the metal bell/shroud . The cloth should protect surrounding basin/ bath etc . from same heat shock ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back