Domed Tap screw cover won't budge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a bathroom sink tap that needs the valve replacing but I can't get the cap off to remove the tap handle. It is domed and I can see no way to remove it. I have tried to prise it off with a Stanley and screwdriver and also tried to turn it but I can't get a grip on it to do this. Any of you dealt with one like the picture below before?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Can't tell from the angle of the camera, but if you undo the shroud at the bottom of the tap, can you get a slim spanner in to undo the headgear? Some taps don't need the handle off to dismantle.

Looks like the shroud may be too close to try the trick whitespirit suggests, although if you turn the mains stop tap off and then open your chrome tap fully is may give you enough space to lift the shroud.

Otherwise I would have another go with a stanley blade, lightly tapping it into that fine gap.

Try using a pencil eraser pushed hard down onto the domed head and then turned. If its screwed on this might shift it.

Sponsored Links
You are not sure if that dome comes off at all. Does the look of the other tap make you think it does indeed come off? ie can you get the dome off the hot tap?

I would think the dome should pop off with a stannley blad eased into ht egap (mind your fingers!)

let us know how you get on

Sorry for slow reply (wife inconveniently went into labour:))

Thanks for your replies. Bizarrely I also tried the eraser thing just after I posted but no joy. I tried numerous times with the Stanley but didn't budge at all, just keeps snapping the end off the blade or bending to point of breaking. Will try to see if any of the spigots twist off and also try to unscrew the valve out first but think if I do it would not help me remove the valve from the handle. I will give it a try at the weekend and let you know how I get on or post more pics.

If anyone has any more bright ideas they will be welcome :)

Hi, did you ever manage to get this off? I have the same problem and looking at the picture, it's exactly the same tap.

I've removed all three handles but there's no grub screw holding the head on. Undoing the shroud and turning the tap on full doesn't reveal enough to get a spanner onto the nut.

I've tried soaking dome with WD 40 but still can't turn it (tried with the eraser too) . Trying to prise out with a Stanley blade's unsuccessful too, just scratching the domed cap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back