Frozen waste pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a solution other than not letting it happen in the first place that is.
To unblock frozen pipes, I have removed the plastic waste from outside and managed to unblock that but it is still frozen entering the house to the shower basin. Tried hot water did not work, poured some salt down the waste and anti-freeze maybe stupid things to do I don't know :oops: but unsuccessful.
Any tips please?

Sponsored Links
daft one but how did water get trapped their in first place as it should had fall to prevent this?

and try long drill bit if u can to get some flow not sure never happened to me

It's never happened to me either!
The house has tennants in and seems that they have left the shower trickling, I can only assume this is how the problem has occured.
The plumbing has been as it is for 8 years with much colder days as are at current and never been a problem.
There is a run of about 3 foot that I can't not get to without either removing floor above or ceiling below.
There is an elbow joint returning in to property, but the plumber has cemented the joint( yes where it connects up) in entering the outer leaf stone work, was reluctent to remove this as did not want to desturb any joints there could be further up the route.

just a long shot but if you know where the pipe runs and you can get to the ceiling below, try a hair dryer to warm the ceiling this may give enough latent heat to part thaw the pipe and allow you to run some hot through it to finish the job.

Sponsored Links
daft one but how did water get trapped their in first place as it should had fall to prevent this?

and try long drill bit if u can to get some flow not sure never happened to me
Soap+ Hair :idea: .Frozen sludge. Had a 4 inch soil pipe of frozen shyte in the 80`s once . Under a maisonette. :eek:

Only thing that comes to my mind is to connect a hose to a tap (hot water if at all possible) and squirt water in from the outside, trying to make a seal for a few seconds at a time with your hand (Brrrrrrrrr!) while it fills up before releasing it again.

I will be able to calculate roughly where the pipe runs, between leaving building and waste outlet on shower basin. I'll get my tape measure out and be back in touch later.

slightly off track but ive seen a gutter outlet completely freeze over by the shingle off a flat roof,over a period of nights of frost.it slowly built a bridge.

thinking about it is it new build could be plastic plumber as said come acroos few recent one`s wher the fall went upward for period or if drains have been jetted resently they may have backed up his pipe but their has tobe a main fualt to problem as water does not tend to sit in watse pipe long enough to freeze

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back