Fruit and veg ‘will run out’ unless Britain charters planes to fly in farm workers from Europe

Sponsored Links
There is more to it than that. First that person needs to give a sh¡t. Then they need to stay around long enough. It's hard back breaking work.

Exactly.

Imagine you had a building project lined up for the summer. You've got 6 weeks to complete it, contractually obliged. You have funds to employ 10 labourers to help you.
Do you employ 10 uni students who have no experience of building work, have never worked together, and will need training, and probably a lot of hand holding, and will most likely instagram and facebook the whole horrid experience. Or 10 Romanian builders and labourers who will walk in and get on with it, and probably finish in 4 weeks?

No different on a farm. This isn't like popping down to the local farm shop for some PYO strawberries.

Imagine you had a building project lined up for the summer. You've got 6 weeks to complete it, contractually obliged. You have funds to employ 10 labourers to help you.
Do you employ 10 uni students who have no experience of building work, have never worked together,

The building industry in London is just as you describe. Full of unskilled workers carrying out skilled or semi skilled jobs. Hence why the construction industry is producing poor quality homes and work spaces.

Sponsored Links
The building industry in London is just as you describe. Full of unskilled workers carrying out skilled or semi skilled jobs. Hence why the construction industry is producing poor quality homes and work spaces.
the UK house building sector is dominated by the big six which are companies whose business model is driven by shareholder profits and bonuses for the top bods.

they dont give a shoot about quality.

sadly the local town builders that might build a dozen or so houses a year, almost always build to a much higher standard, but they struggle to get plots or planning permission because the big house builders have the power to control the land purchasing and lobby govt.

the UK house building sector is dominated by the big six which are companies whose business model is driven by shareholder profits and bonuses for the top bods.

they dont give a shoot about quality.

sadly the local town builders that might build a dozen or so houses a year, almost always build to a much higher standard, but they struggle to get plots or planning permission because the big house builders have the power to control the land purchasing and lobby govt.

The industry would get a kick up the backside if legislation was such that a potential buyer can walk away from the purchase of a new house if it was not up to standard. At the moment I can order a car for thousands of pounds and have the right to reject it, however the buyer of a house of hundreds of thousands of pounds is stuck with it.

The industry would get a kick up the backside if legislation was such that a potential buyer can walk away from the purchase of a new house if it was not up to standard. At the moment I can order a car for thousands of pounds and have the right to reject it, however the buyer of a house of hundreds of thousands of pounds is stuck with it.

That is exactly the analogy I used when I asked my brother if he wanted me to snag his new house in Yorkshire.

Farmers

Responsable for damaging the environment

Giving the population all sorts of diseases?

BSE because some b erk or b erks thought it was a good idea to turn cows and sheep into canabals and feed pigs sewage

its a major problem, I would never buy a new build.

the good old 1950's and 1960's council houses may be rather basic, but they are solid and suffer very few problems.

The government should be investing in a major house building programme again, otherwise this country will have a generation of people stuck in rented properties -which I think is awful. renting a property means paying more than a mortgage and the end result is you are paying for somebody else to end up with an asset.

Sponsored Links
Back