Fruit and veg ‘will run out’ unless Britain charters planes to fly in farm workers from Europe

Well I didn’t notice any shortages and apart from general inflation, I didn’t notice a massive price increase for the fruit and veg that I bought.
Retailers and wholesalers have had to pay more for items such as tomatoes, peppers and salad, which have been in short supply. "Overall, this has suppressed the rate of increases in agricultural productivity, and potentially lead to greater market price volatility, as well as higher prices," he adds.16 May 2023

You must be very lucky then - just about everything has got more expensive here, and I don't think here is that far from you.

Sponsored Links
The criteria was recently adjusted, (April 2023) especially for seasonal and charity workers.
Seasonal workers now only need £1270 in their account for 28 days prior, and the sponsor guarrantees that they will maintain at least £1270 in their account until the end of the first month.

Why would they do that if there was no problem?

From May:

The United Kingdom is planning to grant 45,000 seasonal visas in 2024 to migrants who will work in agriculture. At a meeting with farmers, prime minister Rishi Sunak said that number could be increased by 10,000 if needed. This appears to contradict recent statements from Home Secretary Suella Braverman.

The British government has announced that it intends to award 45,000 seasonal visas next year for workers in the horticulture sector (so the production of fruits, vegetables and other plants), just like this year.

British farmers have been struggling to find enough workers due to tougher immigration rules in the wake of Brexit. This led the government to increase the number of seasonal farmworker visas from 15,000 in 2022 to 45,000 in 2023.

Up to 55,000 seasonal visas for migrant farmworkers
British prime minister Rishi Sunak also said that the government could potentially issue another 10,000 visas for farmworkers, so 55,000 total, if needed, at a farming summit in London on Tuesday (May 16).

From May:

The United Kingdom is planning to grant 45,000 seasonal visas in 2024 to migrants who will work in agriculture. At a meeting with farmers, prime minister Rishi Sunak said that number could be increased by 10,000 if needed. This appears to contradict recent statements from Home Secretary Suella Braverman.

The British government has announced that it intends to award 45,000 seasonal visas next year for workers in the horticulture sector (so the production of fruits, vegetables and other plants), just like this year.

British farmers have been struggling to find enough workers due to tougher immigration rules in the wake of Brexit. This led the government to increase the number of seasonal farmworker visas from 15,000 in 2022 to 45,000 in 2023.

Up to 55,000 seasonal visas for migrant farmworkers
British prime minister Rishi Sunak also said that the government could potentially issue another 10,000 visas for farmworkers, so 55,000 total, if needed, at a farming summit in London on Tuesday (May 16).

Why would they do that?

Sponsored Links
So, did Britain charter planes to fly in farm workers from Europe because I don’t remember us 'running out'*.

*Apart from Notch who claimed to not having seen any tomatoes for the last 3 years.
you’ve already lost that argument.

There have been rolling shortages in supermarkets ever since end of SM membership……apart from those “magic Brexit supermarkets“ in sunlit uplands that only brexers know about :ROFLMAO:

you’ve already lost that argument.

There have been rolling shortages in supermarkets ever since end of SM membership……apart from those “magic Brexit supermarkets“ in sunlit uplands that only brexers know about :ROFLMAO:
So what is it you can’t get right now, this week, today?

So what is it you can’t get right now, this week, today?
An example of a brexit bonus...

Not right now, not today, not this week...

Or indeed not ever!

But hey, you questioned whether charter planes were used to ferry in EU migrant workers and got that wrong...

You also got it wrong about the tens of thousands of EU workers being brought in to harvest the crops...

Not to mention the tens of thousands being brought in from further abroad in the biggest net migration to the UK on record...

Let's face it, brexiteers completely screwed up!

Why would they do that?
Because brexiteers are too damned lazy to do the jobs that they claimed were being stolen from them by EU workers keen to do what they aren't prepared to do!

No answer from mottie about a 'brexit bonus'...
I’ve told you about the Brexit bonus - not going to keep repeating myself. Hey, still no answer from you though about whether you considered helping out the British homeless before 'allegedly' giving up your spare home to house some foreigners. I’ll ask again: Have you still got your paying tenants and do you have any plans to help the homeless of this country when your 'customers' go back home?

Retailers and wholesalers have had to pay more for items such as tomatoes, peppers and salad, which have been in short supply. "Overall, this has suppressed the rate of increases in agricultural productivity, and potentially lead to greater market price volatility, as well as higher prices," he adds.16 May 2023

You must be very lucky then - just about everything has got more expensive here, and I don't think here is that far from you.
There’s not that much difference in some EU countries compared to the UK. The way some people go on it’s as if they have zero food inflation and ours is sky rocketing. 2% difference between U.K. and Germany. Peanuts, considering they run the EU and their goods don’t have to cross the channel with all the alleged hold ups and expenses involved it getting food to a non-EU country. Why is that?

Last edited:
There’s not that much difference in some EU countries compared to the UK. The way some people go on it’s as if they have zero food inflation and ours is sky rocketing. 2% difference between U.K. and Germany. Peanuts, considering they run the EU.

Did you read your link?

Not sure it supports what you think it does

Sponsored Links
Back