Fruit and veg ‘will run out’ unless Britain charters planes to fly in farm workers from Europe

Sponsored Links
Maybe the moneys better, I was going to say better weather but picking in tropical heat must be taxing

Maybe the moneys better, I was going to say better weather but picking in tropical heat must be taxing

I think money would be better. I did it in Shepperton Victoria. Had to watch for the Funnel Web spiders, and they flys were constant. Had to wear a netted hat.
Dry heat not nice in 100 degrees. I'm told lots of Iraqis there now.

I'm met a few Grey Nomads in sub tropical Queensland. Not as hot but sticky and wet.

I think a guy I worked with at Port Kembla work on a tobacco farm near Shepperton, lots of Chileans were there escaping Pinochet

Sponsored Links
So, did Britain charter planes to fly in farm workers from Europe because I don’t remember us 'running out'*.

*Apart from Notch who claimed to not having seen any tomatoes for the last 3 years.

So, did Britain charter planes to fly in farm workers from Europe because I don’t remember us 'running out'*.
"To save fields of asparagus and strawberries threatened with rotting, Britain is mobilising a workforce of students, the unemployed* — and workers from Europe"

"Little more than two months after leaving the European Union, accompanied by the promise of tougher immigration from Boris Johnson’s government, a charter plane carrying 180 Romanian agricultural workers landed at Stansted airport on Thursday (16 April)"

"According to media reports, the flight was the first of six specially chartered flights that will help fill a manpower gap in Britain’s farms."

"A national appeal has been launched, called “Feed the Nation” in order to find candidates to help work in Britain’s fields.
Recognised by the government as “key workers”, seasonal workers have the right to travel to and from their place of work."

So what were you claiming?

*Indigenous students and the unemployed mostly declined the job offers that EU workers happily filled

(btw, many more examples available to those able to use google ;) )

*Apart from Notch who claimed to not having seen any tomatoes for the last 3 years.
No of course we didn't. And as for not seeing tomatoes I have been eating tomatoes for the last three years but then it was notch that brought that up.

"To save fields of asparagus and strawberries threatened with rotting, Britain is mobilising a workforce of students, the unemployed* — and workers from Europe"

"Little more than two months after leaving the European Union, accompanied by the promise of tougher immigration from Boris Johnson’s government, a charter plane carrying 180 Romanian agricultural workers landed at Stansted airport on Thursday (16 April)"

"According to media reports, the flight was the first of six specially chartered flights that will help fill a manpower gap in Britain’s farms."

"A national appeal has been launched, called “Feed the Nation” in order to find candidates to help work in Britain’s fields.
Recognised by the government as “key workers”, seasonal workers have the right to travel to and from their place of work."

So what were you claiming?

*Indigenous students and the unemployed mostly declined the job offers that EU workers happily filled

(btw, many more examples available to those able to use google ;) )
So, the U.K. farming industry was saved by 180 Romanians being flown in then? Some f'cking labour shortage that was! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

No, we left £60 billion of UK farmer's produce to rot in fields, and imported more to cover the gap, which contributed to food inflation and the cost of living crisis.

And as predicted, the suicide rate of farmers is up by over 20% over the last few years compared to previous years.

Not connected, just weird, unexplained coincidence...

Well I didn’t notice any shortages and apart from general inflation, I didn’t notice a massive price increase for the fruit and veg that I bought.

So, we were saved by 180 Romanians then? Some f'cking labour shortage that was! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
But you said it didn't happen...

And what is 6 x 180 in that example?

But of course mottie ignores the fact that...

The current Seasonal Worker EU visa scheme has a quota of 45,000-55,000 a year"

Brexiteers it seems ain't that good at maths! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back