I am struggling as well now.
Everymonth the bills just get bigger.

I have done alot.
Installed engery saving bulbs.
put more instlation in the roof.
had the house double glazed.
put individual radiator therm stats.

Sponsored Links
John, of course I shop but I try to shop smart.... I try to avoid supermarkets unless they have a twoofer on something that I want and can be frozen.. I don't buy ready made or processed food. Perhaps I'm lucky but I live in an area where we have some superb small food outlets, farm shops and independant butchers.... My local farmer has chickens and he sells his very fresh eggs for 30p less than the local supermarket.. My GF loves foraging for mushrooms, a few weeks ago, she came home almost with a boot full, those that we couldn't eat have been sliced and dried for use in the Winter, The bumper crop of fruit this year has resulted in many folk with apple, plum or pear trees giving the fruit away... I have had so many apple pies that they are coming out of my ears, many of the apples have been either sliced or stewed and frozen the pears and plumbs have been bottled (You can still get Kilner Jars) For the first time this year I have converted my scrap yard of a garden into a proper garden with raised beds for veg and numerous fruit trees and bushes have been planted... The wallnuts from my wallnut tree are nearly already eaten, they won't see christmas. The herbs from my herb pots are cut and dried for use all year round and the tomatoes that I grew in hanging baskets off the garage and the front of the house are being converted into chutney and tomato mush to be frozen for adding to my cooking at a later date... Over the years I have collected enough scraps of insulation to double the insulation in my loft to 24 inches and I have a roll of that silver high efficiency insulation to go in too, a customer was chucking it out as he had the required ammount in his loft and didn't need the rest (Some folk are barking mad, why not just keep putting it down 'till it was all used?) My walls are a bit of a problem as they have cavity insulation but I still wish to insulate further.. and my windows are double glazed but many colder countries have double double glazing, and since much of the heat in your home passes through the windows, it would seem like a good idea (A good joiner could make a nice job of it).

Since I have a van, car and a four wheel drive it would of course be appealing to me to save some dough on insurance and to this end I have decided not to be lazy and search on line (These search engines seem to be rigged) but to go direct to a small broker to see what kind of a deal they can do since I can only drive one vehicle at a time (True that they still need to be covered when I'm not driving) I did try the well known and advertised "Multicar policy" but it worked out dearer to use that then to insure each car individually..... So get your tight wad heads on.

By the way, I'm not the kinda guy who will huddle round a 40 watt bulb to keep warm either, I like my comforts but the heat is mine and I aint giving it away without a fight....

David Cameron said that the French and Germans pay twice what we do and the Swedes four times - but I can't find where he got that from.

The big problem for gas is that Germany is shutting all its nuclear facilities and switching to gas - hence the price of gas in Europe will rise and rise and rise.

When I was a kid there was no central heating - won't be for the next generation either. We've lived for 50 years in a false energy bubble with almost free energy - that can't continue - and it won't continue. Change your lifestyle.

Since I have a van, car and a four wheel drive it would of course be appealing to me to save some dough on insurance and to this end I have decided not to be lazy and search on line (These search engines seem to be rigged) but to go direct to a small broker to see what kind of a deal they can do since I can only drive one vehicle at a time (True that they still need to be covered when I'm not driving) I did try the well known and advertised "Multicar policy" but it worked out dearer to use that then to insure each car individually..... So get your tight wad heads on.

Check out a small motor traders policy. It covers you to drive any car. In fact there are no vehicle details on the policy. You add the vehicle details to the Motor Insurer's Database depending on which vehicle you're driving.

I had one for a few years when I was driving three vehicles. It worked out at less than the cost of insurance for two vehicles.
I told them I was repairing cars for friends and family, not for profit.
It even covered potential customers test-driving cars, as long as I accompanied them.

I also taxed vehicles with that policy.

Sponsored Links
When I was a kid there was no central heating - won't be for the next generation either. We've lived for 50 years in a false energy bubble with almost free energy - that can't continue - and it won't continue. Change your lifestyle.

I remember the ice so thick on the 'inside of my bedroom windows it was all 'leafy pattern' and you had to scrape it to see out ..... and yes I survived.
But I must confess I do prefer my lovely central heating .....

I suppose it depends on what you find as being "cold". For us up here in Scotland, last year we had temperatures hit as low as minus 22 celcius. Over the years I have insulated the loft adding more and more, replaced what windows I could afford and improved the radiators and the general heating system but none of it could cope with the low of minus 20 that my particular area got for 4 days in a row. I have a young child in the house and need to keep the house warm so the cost is becoming problematic.
Thankfully we have an open fire that helps a lot - I pity those that don't.

Djnikon, when not lit, your open fire turns itself into a cooling tower... The warm air from the room rises up the chimney drawing cold air into the room... A stove may be a better bet.

Thanks. there is a metal plate at the top of the fireplace at the chimney opening that slides closed when its not being used. Not sure how efficient it is but we don't feel any cold air coming down it unless it's really, really windy (like the 40odd mph winds we had a few weeks back).

edit:
Incidentally, how much would installing a closed stove cost roughly? The space is approx 22in wide by 15in deep.

The problem with fuel nowadays (and this bullcarp "switch" rhetoric from politicians and providers alike) is that, unless you can predict your energy consumption to the hour, over a year, it's pure guesswork.

When you're faced with tariffs such as "24.57p per day standing charge; 5.5p for the first x units used; 3.7p thereafter", vs some variant on the above, how can you possibly know? You may as well lick your index finger and see which way the wind blows.

It might look like choice, with a million-and-one different tariffs to "choose" from, but in reality, it ain't.

How about Millionaires Cameron and Osborne give us back just half of the ridiculous fuel tax (petrol, diesel etc), in order to help us to pay for heating fuel?

I disagree about the elderly and unemployed. They get a massive winter fuel payment which easily covers the extra winter bills plus a bit extra on food.
I think it’s actually working people who suffer.

We know elderly people in sheltered housing and their heating is on all year because it’s free.

Really all elderly and unemployed homes should have had all had their insulation upgraded by now for free. Everything should be done to get this to happen; for example to help elderly people who are unable to move stuff out of their loft themselves.

I’d like the government to step in and require the tariffs to reward and encourage energy efficiency.
Eon send you a useless energy monitor as a PR stunt to hide the fact you pay much more for the initial units you use. This is totally backwards; everyone should get the initial units at a cheap rate and pay more for excessive usage.
If you’re dependent on taxpayers you should be required to be efficient.

Every time you get people complaining on the news about their fuel bills; they’re always running a dog of two. You shouldn’t have a dog or cat if you’re on benefits as we’re funding them.

I’m sure there are a tiny number of people in genuine need, but I just don’t believe the “fuel poverty” thing.

What really annoys us is we’re careful about the energy we use.
The government then takes money off us and gives it to people who waste it.
Presumably so their mates at the energy companies can justify the money they make :mad:

Fuel poverty is defined by bills being more than 10% of your income.

It doesn't just apply to the elderly and those on benefits.

The gas and electricity utilities where once owned by the people of this country until they were sold off by greedy politicians to the greedy private companies whos main aim is to make as much money as possible for the fat cat directors and share holders. Off course fuel prices are just going to go up and up its in the nature its bleeding obvious. These are not luxury services they are essential and should never have been sold off.

What makes me angry is now they are brainwashing us into using less energy on the pretence of saving us money and the environment. However the real reason will become ever apparent over the next few years. ie we use less energy and as a result the greedy companies put the prices up further, selling us less and less for more and more money. Great for them as their gas supply will last longer and they can continue to rip us off. Do you really think they will watch their profits drop as we consume less energy.

Every time you get people complaining on the news about their fuel bills; they’re always running a dog of two. You shouldn’t have a dog or cat if you’re on benefits as we’re funding them.

Agreed!! I also think that the same rule should be applied to offspring, anyone on benefits that gets pregnant should be forced to have a termination. If they can't feed their themselves then they shouldn't be having kids.

I’m sure there are a tiny number of people in genuine need, but I just don’t believe the “fuel poverty” thing.

Of course. Gas and electricity are both reasonably priced, these people should invest in coats, hats, scarves and wear them indoors if they don't want to pay for it.

:rolleyes:

My heatings not on yet and won't be for another month or two if I can help it.
Had an electric bill today for the last quarter.
£40 quid. :mrgreen:

£40 a quarter , £13.33 a month, £3.33 a week, 47p a day give or take a few fractions .............but I cant see how anybody who,s got a tv,fridge freezer,kettle, toaster,iron lights ect can run at 47p a day

Sponsored Links
Back