Full Bore Ball Valve or Isolation Valve for Basin & Toil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Just wondered which type of valve would be best to use for the basin (monobloc tap with flexi tails) and toilet in my bathroom.

Is it okay to use a standard 15mm isolation valve with screwdriver quarter turn or is it best to use a 15mm quarter turn full bore ball valve to prevent any restriction in flow (like the prestex PB300T)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No need normally for full-bore ball-valves for a basin or toilet, I wouldn't bother unless your pressure / flow is very poor to begin with. I tend to use them on shower supplies though...

You can get full bore screwdriver-operated isolating valves. No unsightly tee handle.

Thank you for the advice :D

In the past I have used the Pegler full bore ball valves with the t bar, however as you say they can be unsightly behind a basin or toilet.

What good quality make of full bore screwdriver isolating valve would you recommend? Or are they all pretty much the same quality?

Sponsored Links
No need normally for full-bore ball-valves for a basin or toilet, I wouldn't bother unless your pressure / flow is very poor to begin with. I tend to use them on shower supplies though...

Hi, thank you also for your advice :D

In our area the water pressure is poor (approx. 1 bar), so we have had installed a fully pumped system, fed from two large water tanks. Which has boosted the pressure to between 2.5 to 3.5 bar and the flow is now sufficient to run two showers without any noticeable drop in flow/pressure.

The hot water is fed from a pressurised hot water cylinder, where the hot and cold are balanced.

Under these circumstances, would using the standard small bore isolation valves, noticeably restrict the filling of the basin mixer or toilet cistern?

Thanks again for your advice

Go for WRAS approved screwdriver operated isolating valves. They are not all full bore, but tend to have a larger bore than the cheapest valves.
Comisa or Cooksey/Midbrass are pretty good, imported from Italy, not China.

Hi

I went the the local plumbing supplies wholesaler today and they recommended these valves:-

Altecnic Intaball Full Bore Valves 15mm

They look good quality, have you guys used these and are they good quality valves?

Thanks

I sold them for years with little hassle. Made by Caleffi, a well respected Italian manufacturer of valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back