FULL STRUCTURAL SURVEY- what should I expect and are they covered if a failure occurs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

just getting one of these done. What should I get within the survey report?
Should the surveyor have a particular qualification or insurance for purposes if me claiming against him if information incorrect?

thanks

Sponsored Links
As for "Insurance" all reputable Surveyors undertaking that sort of work will [should] have "Professional Indemnity insurance" and "Public Liability Insurance"

As for Qualifications, most reputable firms will employ Surveyors who have an RICS accreditation.

In some cases the actual person undertaking the survey may??? not hold such qualifications, but is employed and acts under the "umbrella" of his bosses qualifications.

As an aside the report when it comes in will have 4 / 6 pages of "DISCLAIMERS" attaching with the report running to 3 pages, if you see where I am coming from???

Ken

Structural surveys can only be carried out by structural engineers or someone qualified in structural engineering. IstructE is the club, not RICS.

We would typically get one page of A4 if nothing was wrong, two if there was.

In not sure why you are concentrating on something going wrong. But if it does you can sue just like to can anyone you like, in any business or service you receive.

It should have a bit more detail than your standard homebuyers report but they still won't lift floorboards or drill holes in walls & whatever they write will be caveated to death

Sponsored Links
not worth the paper theyre written on in my experience. it ends up being an ars£ covering exercise. get yourself a good reputable experienced builder for advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back