Planning granted, structural survey has been done. who should send the drawings to the building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i've had my extension plans drawn up and after they were sent to me he said i will need to find a structural surveyor. I employed a structural surveyor and he has drawn and sent plans to me, i've been sending those to builders to get a price.
A question as i'm getting several different answers from the people i've used. who should be sending the structural plans to the building control. Builders are saying you can send it, ie me if i want or they will do it when if they get the job and deal with with control.
The surveyor who drew up the plans said he should be doing it and he will be dealing with building control but there is a cost of £150.00 for that.

Extension
the extension is a side extension on our lounge, open up the side and keep the ceiling the same in the new extension with the existing lounge so there a large beam to be put in and a post against the front of the house to support the front wall.

cc4196ba-7925-4ef5-8b7f-2dd095ed877d.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Anyone can send it in to building control but typically the overall designer would send it in and deal with any queries but it sounds like you're doing this maverick style.
thanks, i have 3 people all telling me slightly different things.

Whoever provides the notice to building control, ultimately, you are the one responsible; it is your property and you will be the one dealing with the consequences of any failure to notify.

You could always phone them and see what they say?
Although there are tales of woe on here, about bad, or difficult to contact building inspectors, the ones I have had contact with have been helpful and pragmatic.
If contact proves to be difficult, you may want to leave it to the surveyor anyway! :)

Sponsored Links
You've been given a poor service by your plan monkey.

Whoever draws up plans be it for planning or building regulation consent, should be your agent, and submit the plans for approvals and deal with the application and queries.

In addition, your plan monkey should have instructed, or at least contacted a structural engineer to prepare any required structural design which is based on the plan monkey''s overall design work, and then once the engineers design is complete, submitted the engineers work and the plans for approval. As for costs, the plan drawer could pay the engineer, and recharge the client, or agree that the client settles the engineers fee direct.

If none of that occurred, the homeowner can make the application himself.

I would not let a builder submit the plans, especially on condition of them being given the building work.

How can a builder even quote on plans that are not even approved?

I suspect there is some confusion as terms are getting mixed up, I assume the "structural surveyor" is a structural engineer who has produced a set of structural calculations and some basic plans showing beam details.
From the photo there is a note about BC - Cost for NOTICE £798 so it would appear that it was intended to undertake the work on a building notice therefore there are probably no building regulations plans and no detailed construction drawings.
In this case either the builder or the homeowner can submit the building notice, usually it is the builder. If you have a set of structural calculations for the steel beam and post then whoever submits the notice can send in the calculations. I would say it is very unusual for the structural engineer to submit the notice unless the work is just installing a beam etc. so I wouldn't bother to pay the engineer £150 to submit the notice.

You're the one who is responsible, so do it yourself.

Then you know it has been done and you will know if there are any questions, clarifications or changes.

When I had one I did the drawings myself as well.

You're the one who is responsible, so do it yourself.
The problem with that is when the plan checker wants clarifications or changes. And that may be a design or a structural design issue - or both. So then you get the poor applicant trying to sort stuff out, without a clue because he's already paid others to do this for him.

I'm not sure that's right. Is he in a worse position than a builder, who may end up not doing the job?

I understand he hasn't already paid anyone to handle the submission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back