Working out how much plans cost - pictures added

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get plans drawn up of my house - so a builder can work from them - and I can have quotes.

I need to replace a load bearing wall with a steel
I want plans for an extension - which should be in permitted development
and I need to make a new staircase up to the loft

so - work needs to be done on each floor.

I've found a decent structural engineer - who has come recommended - but he says I need plans for him to work from . He's suggested a few technicians and planners so I can ring round and get quotes.

How much should it cost for the plans to be drawn.. and the structural engineer on top? Any guesses will help me get my head around what needs doing

Do different 'plan drawers' put different levels of detail on their plans - and are there any questions I should be asking?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Form your extremely scant description of the existing house and works and assuming this is effectively purely a Building Regulations Full Plans Submission (ie no planning required at all and little design required for the extension) I would be looking at paying around say £600-£1200 + SE fee + Building Control Fee which would include a survey, draw up existing plans, draw up proposed plans, sections and relevant details, liaise directly with SE as required. That’d be a good set of drawings and include a generic services plan and would provide a good base with which can form the contract you form with your chosen builder.

Different designers do put different levels of detail on their drawings, some will do a planning type very simple set of plans and elevations then will literally have a standard set of notes they use on every domestic job. Others will provide a more thorough and bespoke set of information.

I’ve know some who will also do a scope of works and full specification for such a job as well as a good set of drawings, which in my opinion is going overboard a bit for such a job.

So you should be asking to see what they will provide your money.

Don’t bother with architects unless they’re one man bands and even then watch their fees, try and find some self-employed architectural technicians to pop round and give you their free hour. I wouldn’t be afraid of asking them to bring an example of their work. It’s also important that feel that you can work with them too etc

Thank you :)

I know I've given little information away :) I could have added pictures of the extension .. and might in another post for 'careful eyes to spot problems :)

Sponsored Links
looks to me like the red wall is new
family room walls remain
dining to hall/breakfast/kitchen walls go
breakfast to kitchen/toilet walls go
toilet bath and all internal walls associated go away
that weird C shape in the new kitchen is the worktops, not a room, corridor or other oddness
part of the dinig room external wall goes to make way fr garage

definitely get an AT - drawing plans all heath robinson style is fine for getting a point across but the level of detail a builder will need in order to quote, and what you'll need to ensure your own peace of mind, is far more in-depth. Even if it's two thousand quid for all the admin work, this is a relative drop in the ocean for a major project budget and the amount of time and hassle it will save makes it worth it. If you had a week to cut down a tree, spend 5 days sharpening an axe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back