full tile at verge? simple novice question

Took a few photos of the setup as is. Took the eaves soaker off and replaced it with a piece of cement board so I can put mortar in the gap for a better finish.

Would like to confirm regarding the step flashing, do I bend the flashing an inch around the bottom and top corner or finish flush?

And should the corner apron soaker wrap over the side of the eaves tile? I've finished it flush but didn't want problems later.
IMG_20200810_160022.jpg IMG_20200810_160005.jpg

Sponsored Links
the apron is best wrapped over the first course of tile edge. stepped flashing wraps around the brick corner just past the line of the first tile edge.

By doing so weathers the apron and soaker

Morning all, decided to do some roofing in the rain.

I'm confused as to how to get the step flashing to look decent when it's fitted. It's sitting across three rows but unless I cut the profile to match the tiles as well it'll end up having a big gap at the top tile. Do I need to make another soaker for the top? But what do I fix it to? Can't seem to find the examples I'm after as Google mainly shows slates when step flashing is searched.
I made my soakers 100mm so the upstand is about 80mm from the tip of the tile. Will a piece of 200mm wide lead cover this?

IMG-20200816-WA0003.jpg IMG-20200816-WA0002.jpg IMG-20200816-WA0000.jpg IMG-20200816-WA0001.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ah ok thanks, I might have cut the tiles a bit too tight to the abutment in that case. I'll have to remove them and nip a bit off. Guess that will get rid of the gap at the top as well then? Or do I add another soaker?

Got it in, and I think I'm somewhere near now after much bashing.
IMG_20200816_143320.jpg

IMG_20200816_143315.jpg

Not over the moon with the bottom cover, any suggestions?

Thanks

Got a bit more progressed and am at the verge board stage.

IMG_20200822_164740.jpg IMG_20200822_164730.jpg

I've got about a 40mm overhang from the fascia board and have cut the battens back so that the mortar doesn't touch the batten ends.

Will I need tile clips at the verge? And does the lead flashing at the top end just fold over and a little round the corner? Say an inch?

Shall I point up with mortar or lead mate?

Thanks.

it looks a sheltered area i would be inclined to bed and screw only it'll look neater.
yes fold the flashing down after its pointed and set
if you have fully plugged the flashing well then i would point in mortar.
lead mates fine but personal preference.
looking tidy well done

Yeah it's quite sheltered but the freak weather this year has made me reconsider a few of my projects!

I've used lead clips and put them in about every 200mm, it's pretty well fixed and like the look of mortar more than lead mate.

How far should the battens be from the edge of the cement board?

Thanks again

cut them back another 40 - 50 mm from what you have now on the top course.
obviously make sure you still have a good batten fixing.

note i said screw over nail.

Can you get tile and a half in this style to get rid of the small L shaped one?

I'm probably totally wrong .... but your latest picture shows a tile, then a tile that has been cut to an L shape. Could this be replaced with a "tile and a half" and cut into an L shape so its stronger?

That one is a tile and a half, it's covering the small lead apron that I made.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back