fungus in loft above shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed some blue mold / fungus in the loft directly above the shower.

I've read the sticky on lofts and looks like the best solution would be for me to fit an extractor fan. The only real problem is there's no easy way to feed the electric to the external wall and not a great deal of the wall to play with, due to the window and shower cubical on that wall.

I am wondering if I've caused the problem some what. About 6 months ago I had the cavity walls done and also added to the insulation myself by laying 200mm on top of what was already there. I had pushed it as far as it would go, which might have affected the air flow in there and the shower is on the far wall. The loft has vents in the sophits and the mold is showing on the outside of these too near the shower area, so it may have been trapped?

I've pulled the insulation back to make sure the air can flow all through the loft.

If this was the problem and helps prevent the build up of moisture, will the fungus sort itself out and die off?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back