Funky voltage fluctuation problem with electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alright chaps!

Been having some weird problems with my electric shower, just stopped giving hot water one day: The neon on the isolator switch was kind of fritzy flickering on and off so I replaced the switch with a brand new one but still no hot water (although the neon on the switch is lit up steady).

I've been round with a multimeter to see how far the power gets, and I'm seeing some weird voltage fluctuations all along the circuit: Everywhere I test, the meter reads voltages cycling from 0 to 6V and back again every 5 seconds or so.

Any ideas what could cause this? I replaced the MCB for the shower circuit too with no change

Sponsored Links
What type/model of meter is being used and what reference points are you getting these readings from, is this isolated voltage reading or energised voltage readings?

Any RCD in circuit ? Possible burnt out connection in there. Did you check the neutral connection at the CU ?

Sorry guys, turns out I had the multimeter set to DC voltage and not AC. The shower is seeing 230V so I'm guessing the heating elements or electronics are at fault on that end.

Feel pretty stupid right about now! :oops:

Sponsored Links
That's why multimeters are not the correct choice for proving dead !!
True - definitely not the ideal choice for that purpose. However, to be fair, 'proving dead' was not what the OP was trying to do; on the contrary, the expectation was that the circuit would probably prove to be live. [and hands up anyone who has never used a multimeter on the wrong range :) ]

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back