New Electric Shower - Power but no Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I've just replaced my old Triton 7.5kW electric shower with a newer model with the same power rating.

The power neon on the new shower illuminates when the DP switch is on but there is no hot water.

The old shower worked fine for years and that too stopped providing hot water - there were signs of overheating in the DP switch (now replaced) and in the unit at the connection below the heater.

Any ideas why the new shoer won't provide hot water - could the wiring have been damaged by the old shower?

Sponsored Links
Could be.

Do you have a multimeter (and know how to use it) or a voltage tester (NOT a neon screwdriver?)

You'll need to test at the terminals of the shower that 230volts is geting that far.

If it is then the new shower is not working. If there is no voltage there then there may be a wiring or switch fault and we will need more details.

EDIT: Just read your post properly. The light that comes on. Is that on the shower itself? If so then the shower itself may have a problem.

tell us what shower it is may help.
did you commission it properly ? you may of activated the tco before you've even used it.

is there water through it at all?
if not then you forgot to remove the plug from the bit the water attaches too.. ( some have them to keep bits out during transport and installation.. )

if there IS water through it then there may be a loose internal connection or something that needs resetting or the dial on the front may need adjusting etc..

Sponsored Links
Hi - it's a Triton T80Z 7.5kW.

Light comes on both on the DP ceiing switch and the shower unit.
I followed the commissiong instructions so hopefully its not the tco.
Can I check this?

The shower basically has 2 controls one is a power selector (cold, eco, hot) which switches the heater elements and the other is a temp control which controls flow rate. the flow rate control works OK but the power control doesn't heat the water in either eco or hot setting.

that would suggest that the dial on the front is not engaging with the switch.. does it feel like it's actually turning something inside or does it feel loose?
try turning the control with a pair of pliers with the front off..

ColJack - you're a star. just had the cover off again and the power knob wasn't engaging with the switch in the unit. All fixed and working fine. Many Thanks.

I had the very same problem with Triton showers approx 18 months ago.

Was doing the job quite cheap so it really peeved me. I took shower back and replaced it with another of same model that did the same.

Rang Triton tech help and they knew nothing of a fault on this model. They said that to send someone out would take a few days and I needed to ensure mains water pressure was ok/suitable. The water pressure was beyond fine so I took 2nd shower back to screwfix and got money back.

Then got a Mira unit; worked fine straight away. I have been averse to Triton since then, and will remain so in light of the OP.

To top it off, with all the hassle of above meant I would have been on better wages at Mconalds!!

We live and learn!

PS Coljacks solution was not the problem on this occasion!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back