Burnt electic shower switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chaps,

I had a new electric shower refitted last year. The old shower was a 7.5kw Triton and i replaced it with a newer 7.5kw triton. The old 6mm cable was used but a new 45amp shower pull cord was fitted. The fuse box was updated at the time also. All work was carried out by a electrician and certified. Not so long back though the shower pull switch wouldnt turn off and upon inspection found that the "load" live terminal had burnt so badly it was practically gone. Nothing on the fuse box tripped and the shower 'seemed' fine. The electician came out and couldnt find anything wrong so replaced the pull switch. It seems ok now but am worried it'll happen again. Does anybody have any idea what could've caused this?

Cheers in advance

Tom

Sponsored Links
Could had been a poor termination in the pull cord. If the connection is poor ie not screwed in correctly then it increases resistance and generates heat.

I had the same problem and was told to check connections, when I fitted a new switch I double checked all the connections and 2 months later I had the same problem.
Not too sure what I am doing wrong ?

Sponsored Links
When a copper cable overheats, the copper is softened by the heat.

Soft copper doesn't make a good joint, over time it flows away from the pressure of the clamping screw.

A poor joint leads to poor electrical connection

the poor electrical connection then overheats. The heat expansion and contraction make it increasingly loose, and the loose joint burns away from electricity passing through the poor connection.

So it happens again.

The cure is to cut back the heat-damaged wire and make a joint with new wire. If there is not enough slack then a new piece has to be permanently joined on using a crimp.

Your going on about loose connections but was size breaker is in the distribution board? Showers should be backed by an 30MA RCD!

(if specified in the manufacturer's instructions)

And is that relevant to the presenting problem: ""load" live terminal had burnt so badly it was practically gone"

Is that a question? Please explain what you're asking.

Shall we have a small wager? £25 says you can.

p.s. if you're offering good odds, you may get some other takers.

edited: to be precise, I should have said "£25 says I can." I have no knowledge of your abilities.

screw terminals are not as secure

A crimped joint is and permanent.

Can I have my £25 now please

and the winner is johnD...

you can crimp ANY size cable with the right tools..

as it hapens, all insulated crimp tools come with 1.5, 2.5, and 6mm crimping holes..

yellow crimps are 4-6mm

blues are 2.5 and red is 1.0-1.5mm ( though smaller can be used if doubled over.. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back