Bathroom extractor to shower supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I notcied the other day that my extractor fan is wired directly to the pull switch of my electric shower (7.5kw). Although i like the idea of having the extractor come on with the shower and not the lights my electrician said it'll need changing. He said to keep the extractor wired to the pull switch but add a 3amp fuse in line with it. Whats the best way of doing this please? I have seen some boxes in B&Q that have 13 amp fuses, can i just swap the fuse over?

Cheers

Tom

Sponsored Links
You should also check the size of cable pre fused spur unit is adequate to be protected by the shower fuse. Although I realise this is remedial action it should be notified to LABC under part p of the building regs. As you already have a spark, why not get him to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Why not? I don't think the cable needs to be the same size as that of the shower cable but if it is 1mm (I'm making assumptions now I know) then imo it is too small. As long as the adiabatic equation can be met I'm happy.

Thanks chaps, i'll check the cable before i start. My electrician is coming to certify other work i have done elsewhere in the house so i suppose i could get him to do it. I would like to have an understanding of whats going on though. Do you guys (or those of you that are professionals) get p*ssed off when clients want to look over your shoulder out of interest? If so i'll give hims pace....

Tom JE said:
Do you guys (or those of you that are professionals) get p*ssed off when clients want to look over your shoulder out of interest? If so i'll give hims pace....
if it were me doing the work, i would get a bit irritated by this, but if you offer to give him a hand and make plenty of cups of tea (or water, as i find British Gas guys like), i'm sure he wont mind. :LOL:

As crafty said, don't just stand and watch over his shoulder. Give him a bit of space.

Just get chatting to him over a cup of tea, and I'm sure he'll explain & show you what he's doing.

Thats good to know, i wont crowd him then. He seems a decent bloke and always keeps me inform as to what he is doing and why - just didnt want to annoy him with all my questions.

Cheers chaps

Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back