Funny how that...

Care to explain why people are now allowed to congregate in larger numbers (even those older than school age) and the figures for the 'virus' are going down?

the effects of "freedom day" arent yet known.

the hot weather could be a contributory factor

or the govt could be deliberately reducing testing, or playing some other dishonest trick -I wouldnt put anything past them in their quest of spin and lies

Sponsored Links
I don't say this about the Tories often, I think the government is doing the right thing. We need to get the country back as normal as possible, but, we still need to be cautious and sensible.

We're going to have a nice August, then it might go downhill again.

So get out and enjoy your new freedoms while you can.

And if you haven't had your vaccine yet, stay at home.

RAC have said expect to see massively busy roads this summer as we all staycation....and apparently 30% of all UK road traffic will be West bound.

takes me back to holidays as a kid, many a happy hour spent sitting in the back of my parents ford Zodiac on the A30 on Bodmin moor in a queue of endless caravans.

Total nightmare. Brexit, highest Covid deaths, now locked in with 66+ million Brits with not many places to go. Unfortunately going south west in the summer is like a big funnel towards Devon and Cornwall.

Yes, similar memories to you except not quite so lucky to have a Zodiac. Had to slum it in Cortinas, or later when Old Man changed jobs it was Marinas. Before the M5 was extended used to have to crawl along the A38. Bridgwater was always the worst bit because of the gassy smell from the cellophane works that used to fill the town. Could never believe that people could put up with it, but I suppose you can get used to it.

Sponsored Links
RAC have said expect to see massively busy roads this summer as we all staycation....and apparently 30% of all UK road traffic will be West bound.

takes me back to holidays as a kid, many a happy hour spent sitting in the back of my parents ford Zodiac on the A30 on Bodmin moor in a queue of endless caravans.
I remember going on Summer hols as a kid. We used to go to my Grans who had moved from Golders Green to Little Petherick near Wadebridge in 1974. We had a huge thick activity book and I remember in the front, one of my sisters had written "Home to Little Petherick -14 hours".
She did put the mileage too, but I forget that.

I remember getting stuck in loads of jams in every town. There were no bypasses and the A30 was not such a major road like it is today.

My Mum used to wake us up at 0400 so she could make an early start.

I remember going on Summer hols as a kid. We used to go to my Grans who had moved from Golders Green to Little Petherick near Wadebridge in 1974. We had a huge thick activity book and I remember in the front, one of my sisters had written "Home to Little Petherick -14 hours".
She did put the mileage too, but I forget that.

I remember getting stuck in loads of jams in every town. There were no bypasses and the A30 was not such a major road like it is today.

My Mum used to wake us up at 0400 so she could make an early start.

My dad told me about the days before motorways - the route to the west from Essex was through London. If he was going to Ascot races, he would drive via Oxford Street. Seems totally crazy now.

It still takes me about 7 hours to get to Cornwall, by the time we've stopped for loo and coffee breaks

Last edited:
the effects of "freedom day" arent yet known.

the hot weather could be a contributory factor

or the govt could be deliberately reducing testing, or playing some other dishonest trick -I wouldnt put anything past them in their quest of spin and lies
Goodness me!

When did you start to have such thoughts?

My dad told me about the days before motorways - the route to the west from Essex was through London. If he was going to Ascot races, he would drive via Oxford Street. Seems totally crazy now.
25 years ago, when I met Mrs Secure, she lived in Clapham.
I would visit every weekend and thought nothing of tootling through the Smoke.

I'd come in on the Westway and turn right towards Shepherd's Bush, then pretty much straight down to the river and across the other side towards SW4. I even went out one Sunday morning to find a pharmacist (near the river) that was open and had what we needed and parked right outside, no restrictions!

Bet you can't do that now!

Sponsored Links
Back