Funny smell in the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a 2 bed terraced house, and over the last year or so we've had this smell in the bathroom, it's kind of foisty, sometimes its there, sometimes its not.

We've tried all sorts to try and figure out what's causing the smell, but to be honest, we can't find anything at all.

The smell can be there on the morning and gone on the afternoon, or it might not be there on the morning and appear on the afternoon. Sometimes we don't smell it for weeks.

In the bathroom we have a bath, sink and toilet (no shower). The smell doesn't coincide with using any of these. We have 2 baths almost every morning, sometimes we make sure that the water doesn't go down the overflow, other times we let it go down, that doesn't make any difference.

I've removed the bath panel and put paper under there, but there doesn't seem to be any leaks, there looks like there may have been one at some point in time though, but that's all try now.

The bath and taps are well sealed, and I've even tried sealing the bath from underneath to make sure there's no water getting down.

I can't see any mould patches anyway, either in the roof or round the bath, and the smell doesn't coincide with using the heating or the weather outside.

I've getting close to ripping up the laminate flooring and lifting the floorboard, but obviously I really don't want to do this.

We're buying a new home at the minute, and plan to rent our existing home out, so we really need this problem sorted.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what the smell may be, without me having the rip up the floorboards.

Sponsored Links
Get some strong drain cleaner and pour it down bath and basin wastes, pour some down overflows aswell.

Sounds like toothpaste and conditioner blocking pipes and stagnant water sitting in waste pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back