Please help diagnose my bathroom smell!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the past few weeks we've started to get a stagnant water smell in our bathroom. We can't find a leak in there but it seems to smell worse under the bath. We live in a flat with someone above and below us. The guy below has noticed a smell too but also has no leak and is convinced his smell is damp. Our smell seems to have no relationship to us using anything in the bathroom and everything drains ok. The smell is awful some days and not there at all on others.

I've started to wonder if it could be related to the washing machine. The machine backs onto the bathroom wall where the bath is. Sometimes if you go in the bathroom while the washer is on it smells very strongly of washing powder. The washer doesn't smell itself though nor do the clothes when you take them out or the kitchen. You can just smell overpowering washing powder in the bathroom. I've not noticed the stagnant water smell immediately after doing a wash but I guess it could be just being overpowered by the powder smell.

Any ideas would be welcome. I'm quite worried about what could be causing the stink especially as I'm eight months pregnant and don't want to be breathing in anything harmful.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Have you checked all connections on soil pipe ?
Could be a waste pipe to soil pipe connection leaking causing it to run down the outside of the stack and cause damp in the lower flat.

Is it an electrical shower ?

When I first met my wife, she had all kinds of smells in her rented house every time she used the shower.

Turned out the landlord had put a higher wattage shower in with the existing wiring and this was causing the smell ............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back