Furniture board - where to buy in Surrey?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - other than the DIY sheds, which seems to sell poor quality board, where is there to buy this?
I live in Surrey. Trying to avoid the internet!

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by furniture board?
Are you thinking of laminated chipboard? If so then the sheds should really have some decent stuff depending on what thickness you are thinking of using. Don't select boards that have been standing upright as they are stacked at an angle, (to prevent them falling over), and this leads to them bowing. Select from boards that are stacked flat on a solid base.

What do you mean by furniture board?
Are you thinking of laminated chipboard? If so then the sheds should really have some decent stuff depending on what thickness you are thinking of using. Don't select boards that have been standing upright as they are stacked at an angle, (to prevent them falling over), and this leads to them bowing. Select from boards that are stacked flat on a solid base.

15 or 18 mm thick melamine board for shelving and furniture projects.
The sheds store them upright and they seem to all be scuffed and shipped. Timber merchants don't seem to stock 600mm wide stuff. Amazing really.
I'll have to make do with what I can find in the sheds.

Sponsored Links
Timber merchants don't seem to stock 600mm wide stuff. Amazing really.
I'll have to make do with what I can find in the sheds.
Not amazing at all - timber merchants are primarily set-up to deal with the trade and the trade pretty much always has the means to break down sheet stock - and sheet stock comes at 8 x 4ft (2440 x 1220mm), or larger, so that is what they stock and what you should buy from them. Some merchants do offer a cutting service (at a price), some have arrangements with a local joinery shop to do machining for them (at a price). All you have to do is ask, but when dealing with the trade it's necessary to understand that they are primarily set-up to sell larger quantities to people who know what they are asking for (i.e. they can word their specification in terms which are understood within the trade). Many are rarely in a position to handle small value, non-standard orders. Some refuse non-trade orders completely because, after all, they are wholesalers

As it happens one of the timber merchants I buy from has their own joinery shop on site (they are a smaller outfit). They will happily break down full sheets on a panel saw (at 50p a cut, maximum 6 cuts a sheet) providing you buy a full sheet from them. They also sell offcuts from their joinery shop (sometimes as big as 1/2 sheet). It is always worthwhile seeking out outfits like this - they are not the cheapest by any means (unless you start talking in terms of drop loads, or £250 plus when discounts start), but they are handy to know at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
there's a laminates merchant near me who has a huge variety of stock, and can order anything, who will cut to order. They supply shopfitters, office refitters and kitchen companies, it looks like they will cut to your list and effectively supply a pre-fab ready to build on site.

I don't know their charging structure, I only used them once to buy a sheet of melamine veneer. to face appliance doors. Caberflex I think it was.

is https://www.alsfordtimber.com/sheet-materials/chipboard/melamine-chipboard near you , I know they have a shop in Cobham Surrey, used a few times
610mm width
I have used the Sussex worthing branch a few times in the last 2 months, very helpful over the phone, and the sheet material Marine plywood and MDF + timber i have had delivered recently is very good quality and straight & clean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back