Fuse allocation recommendations for CU in a bungalow

Do you have money to burn ? If so, you would be cheaper using that to heat your rooms ! UFH is not very efficient.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
I get on with UFH well and wouldn't now tile a floor without putting an element in and purely used for comfort and not to provide primary heating.
the mats are pence on ebay and in the size of the bungalow will be no more than 2m2 per room
Each to their own

:)

Should have said - should any consideration be given to the electrical supply to the UFH I will be putting in

Sponsored Links
However who in their right mind would stuff the freezer full of expensive food and then go on holiday for a month?
I can only speak for myself, but our freezers always appear to be 'stuffed with food', and we don't take any steps to change that when we go on holiday.

Other than that, I totally agree with what you say. FWIW, in the 45+ years during which we have had freezers (for well over 30 years of which they will have been RCD protected), we've never lost any food as a result of failure of the electricity supply to a freezer (or failure of a freezer). As one would expect (statistically speaking) usually to be the case, the very few cases when there have been failures (of freezer or its electricity supply) have occurred when we have not been on holiday, and have been detected quickly enough to avoid any loss of food.

Kind Regards, John

I only asked about freeze 'coz you always get a freeze sticker in the CU box ;) :D

Like you say, other than a holiday, if an RCD tripped because a bulb blew (I know they shouldn't but sometimes they do) as you went to bed for eg, then 8 hours with the freezer door shut should be salvagable

OK freezer WILL be ok kitchen ring

Like you say, other than a holiday, if an RCD tripped because a bulb blew (I know they shouldn't but sometimes they do) as you went to bed for eg, then 8 hours with the freezer door shut should be salvagable
I think you'll find that, if the door remains shut, the food in an average freezer would usually survive (in a 'safe' state) for at least 48 hours, particularly if it were pretty full.

Kind Regards, John

If it's a complete refit i would run a radial for the Freezer, and come to that, my Tumble drier given the 26a double socket debate:rolleyes: please don't start that again ……

DS

If a lighting fault affected the freezer, someone must have installed the wrong kind of consumer unit.
Are you suggesting that it should have been an all-RCBO CU and/or that the frezeer should have had its own RCBO (or no RCD protection)? With the pretty ubiqitous "dual-RCD" CU, it would surely be common (probably 'the norm') for 'upstairs lights' and a 'downstairs freezer" to be protected by the same RCD?

Kind Regards, John

All RCBO, freezer on a socket circuit with other appliances.
Therefore no way a lighting fault could affect the freezer or anything else other than the lighting.

Dual RCD consumer units are junk. and only exist for the purpose of saving a small amount of money at the time of installation.

Cheers guys!

Anyone got any more thoughts on the UFH supply or 'other nice-to-haves'

All RCBO, freezer on a socket circuit with other appliances. Therefore no way a lighting fault could affect the freezer or anything else other than the lighting. Dual RCD consumer units are junk. and only exist for the purpose of saving a small amount of money at the time of installation.
Fair enough, and I don't disagree with you in terms of ideals. However, you presumably acknowledge that that "junk" is probably what you will find in the majority of UK installations, at least those which have more recently had re-wires or CU changes?

Kind Regards, John

Gives a whole new meaning to the expression putting your pork into a Bush....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back