Fused Spur in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some advice as to whether the following is possible.

In the process of refitting my ensuite - I have the floor ripped up and can see the 2.5mm ring main running throught the joists heading towards the bedroom. Is it possible ( after isolating the ring main, testing for dead), to cut the ring, insert choc blocs/junction box, attach additional 2.5mm and run off to a fused spur that will feed a dual fuel towel rail?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas :D

Tnarg

Sponsored Links
I would not use a choc bloc in any case, and JB must be accessible otherwise it sounds ok. If you going through all this why don't you connect the SFCU as part of the ring?

Thanks for the prompt reply Albert.

I would use a junction box instead of choc blocks.

Sorry to be dim, but isn't what I have suggested connecting the SFCU to the ring main.? I must be missing something...

When you say the JB must be accessible, I can't see how it will be after the ply floor covering is screwed down and lino glued on top - or did you mean something else?

Thanks

Ok, it might be that a misunderstood, I thought that you intend to spur off the junction box a single 2.5 to the SFCU.

Yep this is the reason that I mentioned that the JB has to be accessible, think of another place/way you can connect your JB/SFCU...

Sponsored Links
I think your paraphrase was what I intended...

to recap - under the bathroom floor is a 2.5 mm cable that at the moment I am assuming is the socket ring. Plan to attach a JB to this and run a single 2.5mm to Fused Spur next to Rad. Isn't this "connecting a SFCU to the ring main" the same as you would attach any normal fused spur?

//www.diynot.com/pages/el/el013.php

I don't see why the JB has to be accessible - surely there are lots of JB's under flooring that aren't easily accessible?

Thanks again

There are indeed countless thousands of JB's that are inaccessible. But that does not mean it is right. I go to loads of fault-finds where we find there is an inaccessible JB that needs to be accessed to sort out a problem, only to find it, "has just had a new floor/laminate laid and there's no way I'm ripping that up..."

Screwed connections need to be accessible. If you must make the joint under a floor, crimp it.

I think what Albert was talking about was feeding the spur via the ring (ie with two cables feeding it, rather than one spur cable).

thanks SecureSpark - I am enlightened (no pun..) :idea:

As I don't have a quality crimping tool to perform what you suggest, would it be more appropriate to run the 2.5mm from the Fused Spur back through the roof void to the consumer unit, as the far corner of the bathroom has the soil stack/boxed in work with other wires going down into the garage, (CU is in the garage) and seens as I've demolished most of the bathroom any way....?

Cheers

I think what Albert was talking about was feeding the spur via the ring (ie with two cables feeding it, rather than one spur cable)
securespark - Even my wife does not understand me like you do... :LOL:
Exactly what I meant.

I think that if you can do so it will be a good thing, just do not forget, this kind of a job, a new circuit, has to be certified and I think that the council has to be notified.

Sorry tnarg999 I have nothing against you , it is just what the regulations require, and a good advice unfortunately is not always the one that will make you happy...[/quote]

Thanks Albert & Securespark for your advice.

I realise about part P and the requirements it entails. I just wanted an idea about the easiest way to do this so that if I did get a sparky in, he didn't have to waste his time (and my dosh) rip up flooring etc, when I could do that ahead of the game to turn the job around efficiently.

Thanks again.

You do not need to go all the way back to the consumer unit. Run a new piece of 2.5mm T&E cable to a nearby socket that is on an (RCD) protected ring. Connect one end there and the other to your SFCU.

Personnaly I would have the SCFU outside the bathroom with the cable to the rad going thru the wall to the SCFU.

PS dont forget about bonding.
PPS. Dont assume that 2.5mm cable is a ring final. It ciould be the feed to your immersion, or something else.

You do not need to go all the way back to the consumer unit. Run a new piece of 2.5mm T&E cable to a nearby socket that is on an (RCD) protected ring. Connect one end there and the other to your SFCU..
Nothing wrong with this just if it is not much more work to go all the way to the CU, I would. I say this because when I go to customers I find sometimes spurs everywhere and it does not help in identifying the installation.

Personnaly I would have the SCFU outside the bathroom with the cable to the rad going thru the wall to the SCFU
Agree

PS dont forget about bonding.
PPS. Dont assume that 2.5mm cable is a ring final. It ciould be the feed to your immersion, or something else.
good point

Unfortunatley the flex provided with the rad element is unlikely to reach outside of the room, so without joining cable together I can't see how you would position the SFCU outside the room :( , but thanks for the advice anyways.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back