Fused Spur Neon Current Consumtion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of fused spurs with neon bulbs lit 24/7. Does anybody have any idea how much they are costing to keep the neon bulbs lit?

Sponsored Links
It's over 1000 litres of CO2 per neon per year.

Switch 'em off!

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your responses. Let me be a little clearer. The neons I am referring to are the little lights actually on the fused spur that shows me when the switch is on & live. If I turn them off the item it is connected to will go off (eg. my combi boiler etc.).

Thanks flameport. That's the info I was looking for. As electricity prices are rising all the time & fused spurs without neons are only £1.96; I now know it is worth replacing them as the neons are completely unneccessary.

Thanks flameport. That's the info I was looking for.
Sorry - I thought you were looking for correct information, not something out by a factor of more than 4.... ;)

1mA works out at 2 units a year, not 8.7.

As electricity prices are rising all the time & fused spurs without neons are only £1.96; I now know it is worth replacing them as the neons are completely unneccessary.
It will take many years to recover the cost. Possibly into decades if you factor in the cost of going to buy the new switches in the first place and the loss of interest on keeping those £1.96s+travelling costs in a savings account.

Do you have even one incandescent light bulb left in your house?

I guess trimglafix got his watts and milliamps mixed up. 8.7 units a year is the consumption of one watt.

1W is about ten times the standby power of a good DVD player, according to "Which?". Yet many focus on these trifling power drains and ignore the power waste of inefficient lighting.

I guess trimglafix got his watts and milliamps mixed up. 8.7 units a year is the consumption of one watt.

1W is about ten times the standby power of a good DVD player, according to "Which?".
Or over 4.3 x the consumption of a 1mA neon.

Yet many focus on these trifling power drains and ignore the power waste of inefficient lighting.
Do you have even one incandescent light bulb left in your house?

In response to some of the comments:
I have removed the bulbs (& wiring thereto) to save the costs involved in buying new spurs (thanks: ban-all-sheds);
No, I don't have any incandescent light bulbs left in the house! At 10p for a low energy bulb why would anybody use incandescent any more?;
I never leave anything on standby (reduces fire risk as well as electricity consumption);
Yes, I am a true Yorkshireman!

It is wastage that I deplore, not spending (heating my my king size waterbed 24/7 proves that!).
At the original amount mentioned of £1.31 a year it would cost me £1.31 X 4 = £5.24 per year for the 4 needless lights to be lit. That is £52.40 for 10 years; is that not worth saving? ( I am now aware that the figures are over estimated).
People often dismiss the relevance of saving small amounts, such as the £5.24 in this example. I then ask them to give me that amount as it is so small & insignificant. They never do!
Save on wastage, spend on comfort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back