Fused spur question

The cable going diagonally down I’m not sure where it is going. Directly underneath that section is just a set or drawers to the right hand side an archway then onto an extension.

You really need to trace where it goes, and understand it's purpose. Could you disconnect it, then see what no longer works - might it feed a socket in the extension?

Sponsored Links
Morning all. I’m doing some work in my kitchen and I was wondering if I can remove a fused spur. I have a double socket and next to it is a fused spur, with a switch. The switch used to turn on the immersion heater that we no longer have. My dad used to do all our electrics but he’s no longer with us. But the fuse from the fused spur isn’t in anymore so I guess he removed this when the immersion was removed. My question is would I be able to remove this switch now totally. I’ve attached a pic of the back of the socket and switch. I’m planning on switching out the faceplates but if I can remove the one we no longer need then it can get plastered over

Thanks
But there's nothing connected to the load side of the FCU

EDIT: as usual I didn't see all of the replies:mad:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The cable you marked on the pic is the green black and red that goes to the double socket
If you are absolutely sure the cable in the top of the socket is the same cable in the left of the top box (shown yellow)the answer looks quite simple.
Move the socket to the right such that both bottom cables are covered for safe zone and the 3 cables will connect into the socket (that shown brown may require extending).
I'm assuming (always a very silly thing to do) this is a ring or radial with a spur
1674145000313.png

However if it's really this with pink and purple cables in place of yellow cable it gets more complicated
1674145459465.png

replacing the FCU with a socket and moving it to the right to provide safe zone for green and orange cables would also work.

Last edited:
The cable going diagonally down I’m not sure where it is going. Directly underneath that section is just a set or drawers to the right hand side an archway then onto an extension.
Are you referring to my green cable?
It looks to me like it drops int a vertical cable channel.

I’ve taken the fused spur out. Does this make it clearer

Attachments

• CE07AB37-E048-4D9B-8AF9-70A33BE1AFD6.jpeg
    CE07AB37-E048-4D9B-8AF9-70A33BE1AFD6.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 33
That was the old cable to the immersion heater I think. It wasn’t live it’s up the top out of the picture

Sorry im getting confused. The fuse spur socket had no fuse in it and it went to the removed immersion heater. When I tested it with the volts meter it had no reading. Have I done something wrong

Sorry im getting confused. The fuse spur socket had no fuse in it and it went to the removed immersion heater. When I tested it with the volts meter it had no reading. Have I done something wrong
The question is; Does the socket work?

In a nutshell the socket appears to be on a ring or radial circuit and the blue/brown spur feeds the FCU and the cable going away from the FCU was on the live side not the load side, in other words the brown and red wires were in the same 'L' terminal as were the blue and black in the same 'N' terminal. Therefore if the socket worked, the 'immersion cable' should have been permanently live.
1674159898141.png

I've ringed in pink to show the load side of the switch has no wires in it.

Are you sure the 'immersion cable' hasn't been repurposed for something else, ie a socket in a bedroom, in the loft for a TV aerial amplifier, bathroom radiator etc?

The switch had no fuse in it. I guess my dad took it out when the immersion was taken away. I’ll go and have a look around but I don’t think he repurposed it. If the socket had no fuse then it wouldn’t work but are you saying that it still could have been permanently live?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back