Fused spur/ socket/ switched socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When installing a boiler, ( for this purpose a combi) I usually bring the feed from a switched spur, though if a socket is near I,ll use that.
Now the question is if using a socket should the socket be switched or un-switched.

The thinking is an unswitched socket issolation requires the plug removing. with a switched socket the switch is thrown but is it poss voltage can still be there through a fault with nuetral. with a fused spur all is issoed aint it. :?:

Cheers Sparks, ;)

Sponsored Links
Electric regs say a plug is OK as an isolator so you can use that - just pull out the plug.

An isolator for a boiler should break both live & neutral so you can use a switched socket but buy one with a double pole. Most are.

All FCUs are double pole.

Cheers TTC, thats made it clear, we need to isso both phase and nuetral.

Cheers steve, you little tinkerer you ;) hows the co-op these days? Viva la corner shop :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
FCU is better IMHO for fixed equipment.

After all does the boiler come with a 13A plugtop fitted?

My point exactly

I have an old stager (76) that works for me, occasionally, he always says that anything that could be plugged in permanently should be on a FCU.
His reasoning is that when the 13 A plug was introduced the 13A socket was designed to scrape the prongs, when removed, to keep them clean.

I value his wisdom and experience

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back