G4 Bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm new to this forum and am after some electrical advice.

Our kitchen has 12 of G4 bulbs
g4_clear__51868.jpg
like this.

I'm careful when I replace them, always ensuring I don't touch them with my hands, but for some reason they keep blowing. I'm buying them from places like Tesco, B&Q and Homebase, but all to no avail.

We have G10s in the kitchen ceiling
GU-10-mid.jpg
and these never blow.

We're at our wits end as to what to do with the G4s as we're constantly having to replace them.

I've looked at this website: http://www.light-tree.co.uk/led-12v-g4-capsules.html which suggests replacing them with LED alternatives, but I'm unsure about the transformer, whether it'd need replacing and how complicated it would be.

Any guidance would be much appreciated around:
  • whether it's easy to replace the G4s with LED alternatives or
    around whether I'm doing something wrong with the G4s in the first place

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi.

Many thanks for the quick response. Where's a good place to get them from?

I've tried Tesco, Homebase, B&Q, Screwfix all sorts of places. Weirdly I think some of the cheaper ones from Wilkinsons have lasted the longest.

Where do you get yours from?

Is it really just down to where they've been bought from or could it be something else? I've seen posts on other sites with people complaining about the G4 bulbs.

Sponsored Links
I generally find the Osram capsules are reliable, you can try local wholesalers or I think Argos do them, which would lead me to think Homebase may stock them also. Lets hope in that case that you have not already been let down by the Osram brand, after that likely give Philips a go.

Thanks guys.

The PhotonicInduction video looked good, up until he said the transformer needed replacing :) Not sure if that'd also require additional wiring or not.

I might look for some of the Osram bulbs first - see if they're any better.

I seem to recall some being philips already.

How long is the cable run, and what size, from transformer to lamp(s)?

They don't like too great a volt drop. Life can be reduced to days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back