G9 Lampshade Ring Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Fantasia conservatory light, with a glass shade that's cracked in the heat. A new shade was easily obtained - and with the manual in hand, I had a go at fitting it this morning. This is where it goes wrong...

In order to get the shade off, I need to remove a G9 Lamp Ring. The manual suggests usual a proprietry tool, which I don't have. A look over ebay hasnt helped me source another - any guidance regards where to find one - or just how to get the ring off - would be very welcome, please?

Sponsored Links
41GJObtIYPL._SY300_.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sure thing!

So - here's the lamp as it stands:

IMG_0619.jpg

I can cope with pulling the bulb out (don't touch it, I know...), then I need to unscrew the ring that's behind it to release the glass:

IMG_0620.jpg

Here's the new fitting - that shadering is clearly load bearing:

IMG_0621.jpg

I see. No idea what the 'proprietary' tool is. If this were me I would be taking one of two approaches

1. Smash it, and then get it apart. Will give you an idea of how to tighten it onto the new one.
2. Get a pair of needle nose pliers/screwdriver into that groove and twist the white ring above it to loosen it (this runs the risk of damaging the cable so requires caution)

Sold - Order placed with TP24 - I'll update and let you know what happens. Needle nose pliers will be the back up - I dont really want to smash it!

Thanks for your help.

Twist the shade while pulling it gently towards you the friction between the glass and the nut will loosen the nut to the point you can undo it with your fingers. No tools required. You're welcome.

An old trick is get some softwood round dowling or trim down some 40 x 40 softwood, then bore a hole aprox 50mm deep aprox 22mm or 30mm diameter depending on shade ring, then push it on as you turn.

Edit
just looked at the biger picture, the ones with a slot like that, you can sometimes use a 4mm flat screwdriver in the slot and just twist anti clockwise.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back