Y do I .. DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Y do I - DIY ?

most likely for the same case as everyone else. To save money, but it gets asked all the time, why not get everything done by a competent person with top level cover etc.

In an ideal world I would every time, but

Well here's my particular case.
I am a time served engineer in mechanical engineering, a jig and tool time served draughtsman, and a product design engineer. My hands on apprentiship (4 yr) covered all methods of manufacture, turn, mill, weld, with 3 phase and single phase basic electrical training - when it was all City and Guilds and BTECH, not enough to be passed off as a full sparks - but more than qualified as a multi skilled engineer.

Time ticks on so severely once you leave the safety of the training school, and now I am looking down 25 yrs in the industry.
However, I have had to pull the purse strings the last month, as my employer - a very well known UK brake pad manufacturer has felt the pinch of the economy and all the East Asian copiers are flooding the market with similar looking products.

Yes, you query us the humble DIYer, but so many thanks to those that give so valuable free advice - I do truly appreciate your time invested. Yes I am trying to get something done on the cheap, still safe, but on the cheap.

But, from my side of the fence, how many of you reach for top flight brake pads when asked by the mechanic or how many go for the foreign budget brand. Who chooses those products made, inspected and tested by our time served british engineers. Who takes their pads to be fitted by a competent vehicle mechanic.
Which are those that change their own, who torques down the bolt with a wrench set correctly after consulting the owners manual, checks the viscosity or cleanliness of the brake fluid, or uses new every time.
The clips you removed and re use, should ideally for maximum performance also be changed at regular intervals, who uses those again and again.

So now, there's the adding a new plug to a ring main versus the stopping quickly at a pedestrian crossing as a kiddie runs out. Relying on some of the "products" I have seen you guys returning, thinking you had bought top tier made kit.

So from my side - which ones borrow the missuses reading lamp, pulls the shade off, lays it on its side, plugs it into an extension and sets off on a vehicle rolled onto a few bricks, with those ever trusty mole grips at hand for that "awkward" bolt.

I guess we are all alike really, just you guys work in an industry no less lacking in quality than mine, just you have some legislation pinning you down presently.

so why do we all choose to DIY our brake services, to save money, yes, but because deep down, we know we can do as good a job as the next man, we just don't own a fancy garage I guess. It's our car, our family, our investment, plus our money we don't want to let slip away.

Sorry, but it reads that so many think we are stealing bread from the mouths of electricians, but I could anything I wanted once before electrically. Now it seems one thing after another is in the way to stop the simplest thing.

Again - I am most grateful for the time you have given me and the info, spot on lads. Just wanted to let you see my side of the coin.

hmmmm ... wonder if people will start PM ing me asking if I can get cheap pads for their subaru's :eek:)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back