Lampshade / Pendant help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently moved into a newly built flat and the whole place is kitted out with these:

http://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/productinfo.asp?product=LEP13

LEP13.jpg
LEP13_diagram.jpg

I'm led to believe they are of 'European' standard.

Basically, I am trying to get some lampshades that will fit them! I've looked online for 'European lampshade' and '60mm lampshade' but haven't had much luck. Found a few but they were £20-30. Far too much when I need to kit out the whole flat.

Basically, I have two questions -

1. Am I searching for the wrong thing? Surely I should be able to find more lampshades than I currently am for this size? Or are pendants of this size not really used in the UK?

2. What do I need to be able to use bog standard UK lampshades (e.g. http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=9280962
)? I've seen 'reducers' on eBay (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=lamp+reducer&_sacat=0&_odkw=bulb+reducer&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313) but they are all different sizes! Going by eye 60mm to 30mm looks about right. But I can't see how exactly these would work? Does it just sit above the main adapter part and the shade just sits on it? How would I get it there, would I need to take off the main adapter part (where the bulb slots into)?

As you can probably tell, I am not clued up on my electrics, so any advice would be appreciated. Need to get this sorted as we are all getting bad headaches from the bright light!

Thanks,
Sam

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You may find something under " continental lampshade "

As far as i know there used to conform to building regs, but i think you only need one or two in a flat , for energy saving.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I included 'continental lampshade' in my searches previously. For example on Google Shopping there's only 4 results (around £20-30), normally for items I search for on there, there are thousands of results. Same goes for eBay.

It's beyond getting annoying now!

Thanks anyway,
Sam

You may find something under " continental lampshade "

As far as i know there used to conform to building regs, but i think you only need one or two in a flat , for energy saving.

New builds etc now require 75% of lights to be energy saving type.
Yes its a problem. Go blame the last government and the European Union for insisting that we all have to put up with this sort of thing while they throw away those nice 60W bulbs that we used to have.

Now, I agree with energy saving methods, but picking on light bulbs rather than jet airplanes is not going to save the planet.

Sponsored Links
Many lampshades now have the larger size mounting which will fit your pendant.
The reducer rings are normally supplied with such lampshades to allow them to be fitted to the older type (much smaller) lampholders. They are also available as a separate item.

You just need to find a lampshade with the larger hole (and probably a reducer ring included), and fit this to your pendant. You do not need the reducer/adaptor.

The shade ring is actually 42mm - the 60mm in the diagram is the measurement of the outer part of the lampholder.

Many lampshades now have the larger size mounting which will fit your pendant.

You just need to find a lampshade with the larger hole (and probably a reducer ring included), and fit this to your pendant. You do not need the reducer/adaptor..

I guess I need to stop the internet shopping, get off my backside and go look at a few then! Many thanks for your help.

Alternatively you could replace the lamp holder(s) with the old standard 30mm OD threads.

If you use this method do buy good quality ones as the cheaper ones tend to fall apart with heat.

And turn the power off before starting to change the holder.

I've looked online for 'European lampshade' and '60mm lampshade' but haven't had much luck. Found a few but they were £20-30. Far too much when I need to kit out the whole flat.
Apparently a lot of companies are now calling what you and I know as lampshades "non-electric lighting".

I kid you not. Google it. :rolleyes:

I had this exact same problem when I moved into a new build in 2011! I know I'm a few years late answering this, but I thought I would reply on the offchance that you still haven't found any suitable shades. I managed to find some in B&Q that had larger than normal circumferences, and had a reducer ring with them. I've just moved, and wish I'd kept the reduced rings cos they now don't fit in my new place! Anyway, I can confirm that this shade fits this kind of light fitting, you just have to take the reducer ring out http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/lighti...r-Cut-Butterfly-Shade-10867684?skuId=11358390 I can't find the other ones I bought on the website, but I'm sure if you go into your local B&Q you'll find some. Just look for the ones with the reducer rings already in them :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back