G9 LED lamps recommendations

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 3 light fittings, each of which take 2x 40W halogen lamps. The lamps, admittedly cheap ones, blow quite frequently and, of course, collectively consume 240W.

I'd like to replace them with LEDs for those reasons. I thought that, being LEDs, the replacements would need drivers but, surprisingly, I have seen many for sale which do not appear to need them.

Can anyone recommend any particular brands that will provide a warm white light (it is important that they all have the same colour - apparently some of the same manufacture don't) and will last?

Sponsored Links
I have used LED Hut (www.ledhut.co.uk) for all my led lamp requirements. Delivery is usually within 48 hours (weekdays) and their prices are pretty competitive. Personally I prefer the bluer light that Cool White (6400K) gives, but Warm White (2700K) is readily available from them.

In theory I should be able to fit GU5.3 12 volt LED's in my bathroom powered from a toroidal transformer. However they have all failed, OK very cheap but that is hardly the point.

You are correct packaged LED's rarely need drivers, i.e. a regulated current source, but often they can't take the spikes caused by pulse width modulated (switch mode power supplies) and the only real way to ensure no spikes is to go to a DC supply. The driver chips are cheap
1378-00.jpg
but what we don't know does the LED package contain a chip or a simple resistor?

I would say only real way is to look at lumen per watt. Using a chip we should see around 100 lumen per watt, if using a resistor then more like 60 lumen per watt. But unless using a toroidal transformer does not really matter, electronic transformers will likely not work anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both.

I'll certainly have a look at LED Hut. I did come across them earlier when I Googled, but now I see they are recommended by someone on here I'll have a look at what's on offer.

The heads-up about checking lumens per watt is very useful. Naturally, I want something reliable and efficient. Although I don't understand all the technical terminology, I gather that resistors would indicate a waste of energy and an increase in heat - I think!

I have, incidentally, recently replaced some GU10 halogen lamps with 'Status' brand LEDs which, I had assumed, contain some sort of circuitry. However, they are rated at 5W and 360 lumen, which is more like 72 lumens/W than 100 lumens/W.
They do give out a bright (warm) light, though, and if they only consume 5W each, I'm happy. Just so long as they last a decent length of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back