Which LED MR16 downlight replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at replacing my 50watt 12v halogen lamps for led replacement. I have a philips 10 watt dimmable lamp which from what I have seen of leds is very good, then it is £30 per lamp.
Has anyone used and other lamps which you can recommend?
It needs to be a 12v replacement and dimmable.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm looking at replacing my 50watt 12v halogen lamps for led replacement.
Why?

Saving 40W per lamp isn't going to add up to much, is it?

Hang on, one min it is a good idea especially if there are a lot of them. And yes I know the hatred for them.
You do not know how many he is going to replace. It could be a substancial amount compared to the 50w`s everywhere. How much do people save with a new lamp?

By all means slaughter them but be consistant :D

Sponsored Links
Thats better, back on track.
The GD room is falling apart, good to see here its consistant :p

I'm looking at replacing my 50watt 12v halogen lamps for led replacement.
Why?

Saving 40W per lamp isn't going to add up to much, is it?

Yes but I have more than one downlight belive it or not. I have about 24 so that would be a saving of nearly 1kw.. although I won't be going out and buying all of them just yet as may have to re mortgage to afford them all.

What fittings do you have bas?

Yes but I have more than one downlight belive it or not.
I do believe it - it is very common for people to have lots of them as they struggle to overcome the problem that the lights are actually deliberately designed to not light up rooms.

I have about 24
24 x 50 = 1.2kW of lighting. How many rooms does that serve?

What fittings do you have bas?
A variety of surface, wall, pendant and recessed. No ceiling mounted torches.

over 5 rooms. I gathered you were anti down light from other posts. Well I and most other people like them. I could take them all out I suppose and fit a few fluorescent cuttings, that could look nice along with a few pendants with low energy lamps that I have to wait for to warm up.. hmmm.

Well I and most other people like them.
You might (although it seems you don't like the running costs).

Not sure how true it is to say that "most" other people like them.

I could take them all out I suppose and fit a few fluorescent cuttings, that could look nice along with a few pendants with low energy lamps that I have to wait for to warm up.. hmmm.
Or you could stop being so narrow minded about what light designs are available, by no longer limiting yourself to the rubbish the sheds sell, and you could update your knowledge of low energy lamps instead of recycling ancient nonsense about having to wait for them to warm up.

Well I and most other people like them.
You might (although it seems you don't like the running costs).

There is no doubt that they are expensive to run, but I knew that from the start and does not put me off them.

Not sure how true it is to say that "most" other people like them.

I could take them all out I suppose and fit a few fluorescent cuttings, that could look nice along with a few pendants with low energy lamps that I have to wait for to warm up.. hmmm.
Or you could stop being so narrow minded about what light designs are available, by no longer limiting yourself to the rubbish the sheds sell, and you could update your knowledge of low energy lamps instead of recycling ancient nonsense about having to wait for them to warm up.

Mr want to ban sheds, these lights belive it or not areavailable in all good electrical wholesalers. Maybe you are use to the plug and play ones you get in the sheds. Maybe you shouldn't be so narrow minded and try the real ones your self, you never know, you may like them. ... and you can replace all them nice pendants.. just pulling your leg.

ok bas you win. Back to my original question, does anyone else recommend any other led replacements? :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back