Gable caps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I believe I may have mice getting in through the pointing on the gable of house. I would like to put plastic gable capping on. Is this a diy job, I am pretty handy.

How do they fix to the gable if it already pointed so you cannot get a screw in the batton ?

Sponsored Links
You could drill, plug and screw if the mortar is good, or you could remove the end tiles and clean them then fit in the usual way.
Personally I think they're ugly, so I'd want to rebed and/or repoint the verge instead.

You could drill, plug and screw if the mortar is good, or you could remove the end tiles and clean them then fit in the usual way.
Personally I think they're ugly, so I'd want to rebed and/or repoint the verge instead.

I would prefer pointing but I think capping may be better as it will lock over the tile, and cover more gap. Is there anyway you can use a adhesive for these to make it easier than using drill up ladder. Its in a tricky spot as its on gable and next door has a porch ?

Well in fact they don't lock over the tile, that's your problem. If the pointing is done properly it won't have any gaps, the advantage of dry is it's not relying on mortar for weather tightness. But a mouse could chew through plastic more easily.
Anyway you can't glue them on, the wind can be quite strong over a verge.

Sponsored Links
Well in fact they don't lock over the tile, that's your problem. If the pointing is done properly it won't have any gaps, the advantage of dry is it's not relying on mortar for weather tightness. But a mouse could chew through plastic more easily.
Anyway you can't glue them on, the wind can be quite strong over a verge.
Thanks for reply, I think ill give dry a go first then see if gets rid of problem. What would you suggest to use to glue the on ? Silicone ?

As I say you can't really glue them on, maybe given enough exterior version of "sticks like nails" you'd get by, depends if you're happy to take the risk (which includes getting hit in the head by a falling cap)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back