Gainsborough 2000 shower not heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Gainsborough 2000 shower that usually struggles to get hot without maximum setting in cold weather. In the really cold weather we have just had it didn't heat at all. All the red lights were on indicating it was working but it never got hot. Now it has gone mild but it still won't heat. In the summer it is opposite. It's too hot, even on a low setting.

What could be wrong with it please ?

Sponsored Links
May seem odd but I get a similar problem, mainly due to the voltage drop in my village, you have to pick the correct time to use the shower as when everyone is using the electric in the vill for heating and cooking the supplied voltage and current goes down so cookers take longer to heat and electric showers dont get very hot.
It is compounded here by the water pressure being in-consistant.

The weather has been milder but the shower is still cold on full heat. It has been hotter than this in the past in the winter.

Sponsored Links
Can't anyone help me ? I have taken the front cover off the shower appliance and there is a small copper tank in there which I assume the water gets heated in. When I switch the shower on full heat, it's just under luke warm but something is heating it slightly. If the element has gone it wouldn't heat at all would it ?

The main red switch in the airing cupboard that isolates the power wont turn off. As hard as I try and push the switch it doesn't move.

Would it be better just to get a brand new shower which would be more economical? Not sure weather to get a gas or electric.

Electric showers commonly have a 3-position switch for power.

Position 1 turns on a small element, position 2 turns on a larger element, position 3 turns them both on. Probably one of your elements has failed. Try position 1 and position 2 and see if either runs cold.

Gainsborough showers are not worth repairing, get a new one.

Your isolator switch that has jammed must be replaced. It has possibly burned out because it was undersized, if you get a good local electrician out he can verify what is the most powerful electric shower you can fit using your existing cable, and also fit a new isolator. He can doubtless also supply and fit a new shower too. It would be worth asking him to have a look at your installation and give you a price before getting the shower. Maximum power depends on size of cable and fuse/MCB, but also on the length of cable and if it passes through insulation or hot areas etc.

Position 1 turns on a small element, position 2 turns on a larger element, position 3 turns them both on. Probably one of your elements has failed. Try position 1 and position 2 and see if either runs cold.

position 1 turns no elements on only opens the solenoid coil.
1 is for cold water only.

position 2 is the summer setting power to 1 element
position 3 is winter setting power to both elements.
check both the elements for resistance with a multi meter.

Gainsborough showers are not worth repairing, get a new one.

nothing wrong with the pre 2004 models which this is

There is no position 1 and 2. It's a gradual dial that goes up to 8. When over 8 it goes into "Low Flow" mode (whatever that is) and that just runs very cold. Always has done. I would have thought low flow would suppose to give the water more time to pass through the element hence getting hotter.

We are thinking of having a new bathroom suite, tiles etc so perhaps now would be a good time to do it. We don't want a power shower as they use more electric but something economical that works well. When the plumber took our Emerson tank out, he still left the Emerson switch live so that needs taking out.

If you just have a graduated dial, and no click positions or press buttons, then you possibly only have one element in your heater, and I was wrong. It is more usual to have two elements.

a power shower, running from a cylinder, uses very little electricity and far less than an electric shower where the water is electrically heated.

A power shower just has a small electric pump in it.

If your cylinder is heated by gas, it is cheaper than heating water electrically.

On the other hand, a power shower gives a forceful and more satisfying shower, so if you are under it for long, you will use more hot water.

We have just had a combi boiler installed in our kitchen (hence the removal of the cylinder) Would a shower be more economical better run by gas ? We inherited the Gainsbrough when we moved in 12 years ago.

If you have a combi boiler, that should be capable of giving you a very satisfactory shower.

the only reason I can see for keeping an electric shower is that you can use it when the boiler breaks down (they do, sometimes)

With a 7.5kw shower it takes 10 minutes to get wet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back